Another Small Saw/Aging Advice Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They feel slightly cumbersome and big for a 40cc saw, but run beautifully and handle better when running than not.

best with lopro chain.

if you happen to buy one, have a good look at the spur drive (clutch drum). A worn out one of those is spendy to replace.
No worries, new saw only this time.

They feel slightly cumbersome and big for a 40cc saw, but run beautifully and handle better when running than not.

best with lopro chain.

if you happen to buy one, have a good look at the spur drive (clutch drum). A worn out one of those is spendy to replace.
I wish it was rim and not spur. One of the reasons I wanted a pro saw. BTW, I noticed that some of the saws I have been looking at has .325 chains instead of 3/8th. Are they supposed to be better in some way?

.325 is normal for 40-50cc

3/8 lopro is smaller than regular 3/8, and smaller than .325

I don't know much about chains. Surprisingly, it is a HUGE subject.

the smaller the kerf, the easier on the saw, but there's much more to it than that.

ps, the makita can be converted to rim easily. I am ready to do that on my 420 at this point.

One thing that may not have been emphasized enough is the easy starting of the makita. The reason the saw is wide is because it has a spring assist starter. This particular spring assist is very well designed and the saw starts almost like magic.

the spring assist on the 50cc dolmar (5105) is ok, but not even close as far as seamless operation goes.

that starter makes both of those models wide, but not overly heavy for their size.

.325 is normal for 40-50cc
3/8 lopro is smaller than regular 3/8, and smaller than .325
I don't know much about chains. Surprisingly, it is a HUGE subject.
the smaller the kerf, the easier on the saw, but there's much more to it than that.
ps, the makita can be converted to rim easily. I am ready to do that on my 420 at this point.
I have switched my 026/260/261 saws to .325 and a 8 pin rim, a perfect setup from my perspective.
My 4300 came with a 3/8" drum and a pico chain, so I had a loop of full chisel Stihl pico chain made for it and the results were better than I expected.
I would like to convert my 4300 to a rim drive, but a 420 clutch drum is different than that used on a 4300. Why??? I guess that's another discussion thread.

On another note, you may want to cosider an Echo cs501. While not in the same league as the dolmar, it sure feels light and nimble. I've only held one, but not ran one.

it feels a little "cheap" in-hand, but isn't really, similar to the Echo 590.

I have switched my 026/260/261 saws to .325 and a 8 pin rim, a perfect setup from my perspective.
My 4300 came with a 3/8" drum and a pico chain, so I had a loop of full chisel Stihl pico chain made for it and the results were better than I expected.
I would like to convert my 4300 to a rim drive, but a 420 clutch drum is different than that used on a 4300. Why??? I guess that's another discussion thread.
Based on the little I know, the 421 is a wee bit different than the 420 I have, and the 4300 a wee bit different again.

tiny cost savings along the way. The 420 has no cost cutting other than spur drive, imo.

Well that was easy. I'm going to buy the 4300, plus I get to annoy my son again. The 3 were like brand new and I couldn't find anything that I didn't like about the saw. Not too bad on the weight either. The rental guy told me something that made me shake my head. They are not allowed to sharpen the chains so they just throw them away when it comes back from rental. Thanks to all for mentioning the Makita!

I think you made a good choice going with a HD rental saw. Mine was just like the others you looked at, used but like new.
The HD locally replace the chains after every rental, but I doubt that they are put into the scrap steel bin for recycling.
Is your saw set up for 3/8" pico or .325"?

John

I think you made a good choice going with a HD rental saw. Mine was just like the others you looked at, used but like new.
The HD locally replace the chains after every rental, but I doubt that they are put into the scrap steel bin for recycling.
Is your saw set up for 3/8" pico or .325"?

John
The 3 rentals looked like new but nothing for sale. I ordered the saw online from HD, supposed to be delivered to me on the 23rd. I have had good luck with their home deliveries and usually arrive quicker than they say. The specs say 3/8 chain. I didn't know .325 was an option for this saw.

Any idea why they are discontinuing this saw? I see that the blue model with a different suffix was discontinued.

Discontinuing because their marketing dept sucks and they can't sell enough gas stuff and they are switching to battery everything. Makita has always been an electric motor company.

i would say that is all accurate, but just my feelings

it's a pity that makita bought dolmar years ago. Even mtd would have been better

It is a small chain, takes a small file, dulls a bit quick, but cuts like crazy and lets the saw rip like a saw is supposed to.

that being said, I havent tried one with .325, but I suspect I would prefer the 3/8 lopro. Its nice for pruning cuts too, as its a smooth cut . Otherwise I would rather use a handsaw.

I am pretty confident that you will like that setup. It is probably a safety chain. A sharkfin safety chain. They can be sharpened to cut as good as anything if you know how.

That must be the chain on the little Poulan. It takes a smaller diameter file compaired to the Homelite and Farm Boss.

I see this saw has a CAT. Do most people remove it? How about fuel mix. They want 50:1 but I normally go 40:1 whether mixing or buying the pre-mix fuel.

Latest posts

Back