Another spurs thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsquatch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Lots of good information on the web for what features a certain pair of spurs offer and I don't need help with that. Instead, Internet info on fit & comfort is all speculation. Regardless, I figured this place was a good as any to get input from climbers similar to my frame and get some comfort input.
I'm 5'9, 175, and have skinny calfs. I'm looking to replace my POS Klein steel spurs (tree gaffs) that have $40 steel insert pads and plain foot loops. They are not comfortable, on the outside of my foot in particular, but also the inside of my knee joints get very sore after 2-3 hours in them.

Two/Three questions open for discussion:
  1. Edelrid Talon spurs vs Gecko Aluminum spurs?
  2. I cat-climb (picture a cat with claws wrapped around a pole) on any vertical spars smaller than 8". I feel like the Klein tree gaffs provide HORRIBLE balance, almost like I'm walking on golf tees. In attempt to fix this, should I get shorter pole gaffs and press the inside of my feet against the spar? I gaff out often enough with my tree gaffs (Klein profile). Will I gaff out more with pole length gaffs?

i keep both pole gaffs and tree gaffs in the truck. pole gaffs will definitely up your confidence on skinny, thin barked trees. My tree gaffs are the buck alloys with the offset shank and slightly angled gaff which seems to help you be able to stand up straighter without gaff out than others ive owned and used

Can you elaborate? I'm picturing a chunk of leather to sharpen my knives with :)

Sorry, vernacular, I meant a lanyard. The way you describe climbing smaller spars suggests you don't use a lanyard and just trust the strength of your arms.

Sorry, vernacular, I meant a lanyard. The way you describe climbing smaller spars suggests you don't use a lanyard and just trust the strength of your arms.
Oh man, tree hugger style! Not me, I do use a lanyard. And another TIP when running the saw.
I just meant when I'm moving in my spurs in little spars, the long offset tree gaffs and their **** balance make me cling on for dear life! I'll try the pole gaffs on a new set of spurs.
Any consensus on comfort between the middle-high end spurs?

I keep pole gaffs in the truck as well. I really like them much better on small diameter stems. They don't work well on thick bark trees but I have no problem on thinner stuff. They see more use than my tree gaffs. I'm 220 lbs and 6'2" so I'm not a really small guy.

Gaffs are like boots in that everybody fits them a little different. What is very comfy to me may not for you that well. You really need to try them on.

Gaffs are like boots in that everybody fits them a little different. What is very comfy to me may not for you that well. You really need to try them on.
Thanks. tough to try them in my neck of the woods, I don't know of any places near me that sell climbing equipment - even linemen stuff I wouldn't know where to look.

When I first got my Kleins, I could barely stand 20 minutes in them--downright painful in the knee area. I got the Cadillac pads, can't remember the correct title, but they're aluminum with foam pads. They made all the difference. Not a problem now. From what I've heard over time, it's either Geckos of Caddy pads to be comfortable in the tree. (Mine also have some padding that the previous owner taped in to protect the ankles, and I like that as well.)

Back