Another use for sawdust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Pykrete. Made from sawdust and water. About 14% water.
I made some and froze it in ziplock bags to use in my Ice chest. It seems to be longer lasting than frozen water alone and even blue ice. Has anyone else tried this and if so what were your results. Just KNOW this is not food grade. I made sure to not allow it to get in food. If someone were to treat the sawdust properly and use the correct saw dust in drinkable water it might could be food grade. However It's only meant to cool the ice chest not consume. Blu Ice is not something I'd want to eat either. I read ( my hobby is reading and studying) that during WW2 wood flour was mixed with wheat flour by the German army to feed soilders because of food shortage. I'm sharing this in the hopes someone else might experiment with it and share notes.

For years I've added Diesel to sawdust and used it to light fires. Recently I has a lot of old Magazines I needed to dispose of. I placed a 5 gallon bucket on its side and lay the magazines in the bucket stacking them tightly so when the bucket was set on its bottom the magazines were stacked all upright. I could see the individual pages. Then I added just about 2 cups of Diesel put the lid on and let it sit a week. The magazines wicked all the Diesel into all the pages. Now when I want to start a beush pile fire I pull a few sheets off a magazine and use a long stick to pack that deep into the stacked brush. I use one sheet as a wick. I light it and with a stick push it against the other pages under the brush. This works great. On another subject: The sawdust water mix took a little longer to freeze but it did melt a lot slower in my ice chest. I placed my sawdust water mix in small plastic cups to freeze. Once frozen they went into Zip lock bags. They seem to work well in an ice chest. I think the reason is the sawdust acts as an insulator and while it melts slower it's not as cold. However, just as a fridge is not as cold as the freezer the ice chest is not required to actually freeze contents. The speed at which ice melts effects the value of how cold things in contact become. Melting Ice absorbs heat because hot travels FROM hot TO cold. Years ago I iced some beer. The guy with the ice chest said the beer was not cold enough. I then poured salt on the ice and opened the cooler. In a few minutes we had ice crystals in the beer. Then, wow, we heard glass break and we had a bottle burst. Hot is energy, cold is negative energy. All things seek balance. Hot expels energy this melts the ice which is becoming warmer while the hot is becoming cooler. Salt applied creates (a form of rapid evaporation to the melting ice) in the old days we froze ice cream by salting down the ice. My guess is you can still buy Ice Cream Salt. The slower melting sawdust ice cools less for longer. I also think someone could soak sheets of paper in water and freeze them to create a cooling agent with a longer melting time. Good day

Latest posts

Back