another "what saw to get" post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so for some reason Oregon doesn't make a bar that fits my saw? there application guide doesn't have any of the 2xx, 3xx or 4xx saws listed. only the ones starting with zero. can anyone shine some light on this situation? thanks

so for some reason Oregon doesn't make a bar that fits my saw? there application guide doesn't have any of the 2xx, 3xx or 4xx saws listed. only the ones starting with zero. can anyone shine some light on this situation? thanks

I don't run Oregon bars, but I'm pretty sure you need to use the D025 mounts. After that it's Pitch, Gauge, and the number of Drive Links that you need to pay attention to.

Here's is one --> https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-240RN...17-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

Again, I recommend the Forester Platinum Bars. Less expensive, as tough and with the stainless steel finish they stay clean longer.

Platinum Bar 20" for the Stihls --> https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Pro...mzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10

Oregon makes bars that fits your saw. You need a bar that has a D025 mounting pattern. I'm not sure where the cut off is size wise, but I'm pretty sure that everything that's 50cc and bigger uses this bar mount pattern, along with their smaller pro saws. This would include your 362.

The bar is specific to the chain's length, pitch, and gauge size. In other words, the bar and chain are some what of a matched set.

A drive rim will work with any size bar length and any gauge size of chain, but it's specific to your chains pitch and the spline size on the saw's clutch.

As far as pitch goes, check the drive rim on your clutch. It the rim's pitch should be embossed on its side. If you need to switch to a different chain pitch, just get a new rim with the appropriate pitch. I think the 362 clutch has a small spline, but double check that. I was thinking that one of the 360 family members actually came stock with a standard spline setup. If you take the saw to a dealership, they can tell you what you need. Pick up a couple of extra e-clips and bar nuts while you're there and throw them in your saw box. Having them will ensure that you don't loose the ones on the saw :) Its worth having an extra drive bearing too. If the e-clip ever comes off (sometimes they have a poor temper and end up getting bent when installing), you will most likely loose the drive bearing almost immediately. On the sprocket cover of each of my saws, in sharpie I've written the saw's model number and spline size along with the chain pitch and gauge size that I normally run on it. That way if I need to get replacement parts, I just snap a pick of the cover with my phone since I have CRS syndrome :)

question. any issue running a 271 farmboss 20" bar on my new 362? we have a few extra at work. thanks.
I'm not familiar with those saws, too new for me. I have an MS 290 I bought about 20 years ago, came with an 18" bar. A few years ago a friend gave me 3 20" bars from his 390. I swapped the sprocket so I could run standard 3/8's. I can also get Yellow box 3/8's which is the aggressive chain. Most of my bigger saws run 3/8's, until I get over 100CC's, then they have .404.

Anyway. I had a climber friend helping me on a job. He got the tree down to where he had one cut left, that his little top handle couldn't do. He asked for another saw and I tried to hand him the 290. He threw a fit, I'm not using some home owner Farm Boss piece of junk. I said I'm not sending the 660 with a 36" bar up for one little cut. He took the 290, made the cut and went nuts. What did you do to that saw? Did you get it ported? You got a 390 top end on it? I said no, I just put a 3/8 sprocket on it, run Yellow Box chain, and opened up the muffler a little.

So, when you said you would probably run regular chain on it, which regular chain. The green box is not as aggressive and a little less prone to kick back. The yellow chain is much more aggressive, but it dulls easier if you nick the ground.

question. any issue running a 271 farmboss 20" bar on my new 362? we have a few extra at work. thanks.
No issues. Everything from an MS260 up to an MS661 uses the same bar mount. Make sure the drive sprocket/rim is for the same pitch as the bar nose on the 271 and you're good to go.

I'd run an 8 pin rim on the 362, but that's just me. For rims there are 2 things you have to match. First, you have to match the chain pitch of the bar and chain. Chain length and gauge don't matter. For example, you can use a 7 pin 3/8 rim with any length and gauge 3/8 bar and chain. Second you have to match the spline size on the clutch. I believe Stihl uses 3 sizes of splines on their clutches (mini, small, and standard). If memory serves, the 271 uses a small spline, but the 362 was available with in both small spline and standard spline configurations. If you want to, or have to change to the "other" configuration on a 362, you're replacing the clutch drum and the needle bearing that supports it. The swap takes about 60 seconds longer than installing a new rim sprocket only. If you find that you have a standard spline on your 362, PM me. I have a pair of used small clutch drums off of my 036 saws that I don't need (I converted them to the standard spline to support running .325 9 pin rims).

Back