another "what saw to get" post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 461 is a great saw. 10yo tech, but very potent and reliable. You'll love it. 90cm (36") is way long as a single bar for a single saw. My 461 ran a 24" B&C and it was hungry and angry in all size and type wood. Get another bar and you'll be set.
yeah seems way overkill. I was definitely thinking 24" would be perfect to get through any log I come across

I didn't mention it in my previous post, but after a couple of other have mentioned it, I'll vote for the 400. If you don't mind the price over the 362, the 400 is better in every conceivable way.

Although Stihl says the 362 is lighter, I'm convinced that the 400 is the same way...the 400's built on the same chassis and has a lighter rotating assembly, so it shouldn't be any heavier. I own a 400 and it doesn't feel any different than a 362 when you pick it up.

Where the 400 doesn't feel like a 362, is the power. The 400 blows the 362 out of the water...it's a strong little saw. I own a wrap handle 400...it was pretty good stock, but I did some machine and port work to it...it continues to impress me with it's power/weight ratio compared to other saws. The 400 has the balls to run a longer bar than a 25", my ported saw easily pulls a 32"...it's just that the oiler was tapped out at 28". It's the same oiler as the 362, and there is a workaround for both saws to improve oiler performance. I ended up with the 461R pump and control bolt in the 400 oil pump housing.
This 👆🏼. The 400 kicks the crap out of the 362. I got rid of my 562xp and ended up with a 400. It's a ln lighter then a 562xp and runs circles around the 562xp or the ms362.

This 👆🏼. The 400 kicks the crap out of the 362. I got rid of my 562xp and ended up with a 400. It's a ln lighter then a 562xp and runs circles around the 562xp or the ms362.
My experience exactly, the 400 is currently the ultimate 1 saw plan on the market.

yeah seems way overkill. I was definitely thinking 24" would be perfect to get through any log I come across

Check out Forester Platinum Bars. Not as expensive as many others, and just as tough. My Platinum bar was going strong after 4 years, and I sold it with the 461. Probably still going strong with its new owner.

The 461 is a great saw. 10yo tech, but very potent and reliable. You'll love it. 90cm (36") is way long as a single bar for a single saw. My 461 ran a 24" B&C and it was hungry and angry in all size and type wood. Get another bar and you'll be set.

i think he was using it as a chainsaw mill. he listed it as a ripsaw

i think he was using it as a chainsaw mill. he listed it as a ripsaw

Ripping with a 36" B&C on a 461? Get a compression tester and test the saw. If you don't have a tester, hold the saw by the starter handle. A good saw will hold its position, and functional saw at a good price will slowly lower itself to the ground, and a Don't Buy this saw will drop quickly to the ground.

@NoSprk Sounds like you are willing to spend the money for a new chainsaw where the 461 used as a ripping saw leaves you with the longevity as how much life was used out of it with possible downtime with repair cost down the road.

I'm enjoying my 261c-m and 400c-m. I would suggest those for your 2 saw plan. One saw plan the 400c-m.

The 400 is so close in price to the 362 I would definitely hold out until you could get your hands on one. I wouldn’t consider a 261 for what you want to do unless on a budget, and then I would say find a bigger saw used. You’ve run some husky 450s and 550s, a 400 is a huge step up. A 261 is not.

so do you know why they sell them with the 20" bar so often (what all the saw shops keep in stock) yet people seem to say run smaller bar for every model. like the 362 being offered mostly with the 25" bar

Many people buy saws by bar length - "I bought a 20" Stihl" - so this seems to be the marketing that works with the average consumer, so it's what you see at a lot of shops. It is ignorant and all, but still.

261/16" and 362/18-20" are good setups in hardwood. If something requires 25" of bar, I want more powerhead than a 362. 3:1 cc-to-bar length is a good general benchmark for good performance.

My first serious saw was a 7900 Dolmar (79cc) with 20" bar. That was a good combination in hardwood. It can pull a 28" when it needs to, too. Of the modern options, the MS400 seems to hit a really nice sweet spot. 462 would be nice, too, as would a 572, or that new-ish 7310 Echo.

well i found a 362cm in town less than 2years old (by the serial number) with two 25" bars and light use. came with a brand new carbide chain included. started easy. holding it by the pull cord it didnt budge one inch. brought some rounds to try it on. paid $500 for it.

Attachments

• PXL_20221120_213513742.jpg
    PXL_20221120_213513742.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
question. any issue running a 271 farmboss 20" bar on my new 362? we have a few extra at work. thanks.
The pitch will likely be different. Out of the box the 271s run a .325, whereas the 362 will runs 3/8s. Info is stamped on the bars. Check pitch, guage and in some cases the mounts will be different (this you can visually check), but not a problem in this case.

The pitch will likely be different. Out of the box the 271s run a .325, whereas the 362 will runs 3/8s. Info is stamped on the bars. Check pitch, guage and in some cases the mounts will be different (this you can visually check), but not a problem in this case.
so the issue would be with the sprocket on the end of the bar working correctly with the 3/8 pitch chain of the 362?

so the issue would be with the sprocket on the end of the bar working correctly with the 3/8 pitch chain of the 362?

Yes, and also at the clutch. My neighbor has a 271, and I don't remember the gauge. Most 3/8s run a 0.050 gauge, whereas a .325 runs a 0.063 gauge, so that is another possible reason that it will not work.

Basically, try it. If you got problems, the answer is no. 👍

Yes, and also at the clutch. My neighbor has a 271, and I don't remember the gauge. Most 3/8s run a 0.050 gauge, whereas a .325 runs a 0.063 gauge, so that is another possible reason that it will not work.

Basically, try it. If you got problems, the answer is no. 👍
oh yeah the clutch too.. duh! meh I'll just spend the money and buy a new one. thanks.

Back