Antenna mast in Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping someone with more experience (which would be just about anyone here) could give me their thoughts on attaching an aluminum tubing mast (1.5" OD, 0.250" wall thickness) for a vertical antenna to the top of a cherry tree using pipe straps with 3/8" x 3.5" lag screws (both strap and screws are stainless)?

Here's a picture of it:

View attachment 234994

I'm hoping to extend about 10' above the trunk (i.e., above the top strap) and the mast comes in 20' sections, so I could have up to 10' below the top strap too.

The manufacturer of the strap seems confident that strap itself won't be the point of failure (should there be a failure).

Thank you!

Joseph

BTW, the vertical is for 2M/70cm (VHF/UHF) ham radio -- it's the Comet GP9.

Last edited:
CQ CQ DX come in Sullivan Co, NY get a local Cert arborist in he'll advise you most likely figure out the better engineering of the tree and structure. But if your happy to Diy it the saddle strap shown may work but consider ratchet webbing fix tie off of the poles. It may be easier to adapt with variable limbs sizes and less harm or impact upon the tree

oh and tree antenna its been done on large scale before

Cell Phone Trees
Cell Phone Trees

QSL derwoodii

Ay, Mate

Thanks for the feedback.

I have an arborist who is advising and who will do the climbing/mounting, but we're trying to figure out the best of doing this.

Is rachet webbing simply a tie-down kind of strapping to go around the tree? I thought going around the tree is a clear (no arguments abound) no-no? I certainly wouldn't mind a wrap around, even as a safety backup, but I don't want to kill the tree (I'd like it to stay there for another 10 or 20 years if possible, but mainly for the antenna).

Here's a picture of the tree (not a particularly good one):

View attachment 234996

CQ CQ DX come in Sullivan Co, NY get a local Cert arborist in he'll advise you most likely figure out the better engineering of the tree and structure. But if your happy to Diy it the saddle strap shown may work but consider ratchet webbing fix tie off of the poles. It may be easier to adapt with variable limbs sizes and less harm or impact upon the tree

oh and tree antenna its been done on large scale before

Cell Phone Trees
Cell Phone Trees

QSL derwoodii

NO ! Don't do it if you want clear, consistent reception. Wind = tree movement; even a light breeze @ Force 2-4 will move any tree in an arc on top that will destroy signal reception. We had tried a "tree mounted antenna" for TV ( close to VHF ) before building; did not work right.
Also think about lightning .:eek2:
JMNSHO

Interesting. I think TV reception might be more susceptible to antenna movement.

I've had an antenna in a tree for about 5 years and never experienced any movement related issues whatsoever. The antenna is for FM voice, and, the movement is minimal and pretty rare.

Lighting is a big issue. I have heavy gauge wire straight down to copper ground rods bonded to house's electric ground.

NO ! Don't do it if you want clear, consistent reception. Wind = tree movement; even a light breeze @ Force 2-4 will move any tree in an arc on top that will destroy signal reception. We had tried a "tree mounted antenna" for TV ( close to VHF ) before building; did not work right.
Also think about lightning .:eek2:
JMNSHO

If you were going to use strap around the tree, putting in 2X4's vertically and spaced apart and ran the strap over them, would be a better option I would think then just wrapped around the bark.

Just looked at the pictures. I think I would bolt a strong base plate to the trunk, going all the way throu the tree. It could even be set up to were the base plate was out away from the trunk a foot by putting stops on the plate side bolts. Then you could easily use your brackets to attach the antenna mast to base plate keeping in straight and off the truck.
A long base plate with two bolts one top and one bottom would do it i bet.

Is it definitively just fine to put a strap around the tree?

Or to bolt through the tree?

I've read in so many places that both of these techniques will hurt or kill the tree.

If it's okay to strap, can someone recommend exactly what kind of strap I should use that will stay in place for years?

Thanks so much!

Is it definitively just fine to put a strap around the tree?

Or to bolt through the tree?

I've read in so many places that both of these techniques will hurt or kill the tree.

If it's okay to strap, can someone recommend exactly what kind of strap I should use that will stay in place for years?

Thanks so much!

This is tricky so allow your onsite Arborist the call. A bolt or likey a few bolts needed may harm timber structure and straps may affect tree by constriction eg ring bark. The system needs to be dynamic in design to allow tree growth and movement but hold your poles secure.
Your pricture while a long range guess shows a poor structure tree to me, the tops gone and its usefull life used up I wouldnt worry to much about long term harm.

Latest posts

Back