Any carvers use the new battery powered saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Wanting to get into some light chainsaw carving and was interested in know if it's feasible.
I have a kind of rural home but want to keep the noise level down at the same time so was thinking of an electric carving saw.
I've looked at Stihls and they look kind of expensive for their Lithium Ion saws.
Any advise or mild opinions on this subject?

I have the Milwaukee saw, works amazingly well for a battery saw. Has enough speed to cut well, even in pecan. Hope that helps

I've done a little bit of carving with an old Stihl corded. I definitely wouldn't be fooling with batteries for carving.

I didn't like the lack of variability in speed with an electric chainsaw for carving you get with a gas. Try with a corded first before you decide on battery unless there is a variable speed one out that I'm not aware of. I'd carve a lot more if it weren't for the noise though, thats for sure.

You could search posts by

Chainsaw10​

I don't carve but have a few Makita and the Husqvarna top handle. They are all variable speed except the brush motor Makita. Really variable as in no centrifugal clutch.

The small xcu06 Makita though kind of a disappointment initially due to low power gets taken rather often. Need define light carving.

Unless you get one that blows air through the battery continuous use was not a design priority. Husky one does. WIll you use in extreme heat or cold. There is a 9 tooth 1/4 sprocket for the Makita though not shown on the parts sheet.

Back