Any chainsaw pranks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl a grasshopper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have any of you ever, perhaps back in your less mature days, subjected someone to a chainsaw related prank? Picture this, Sicily 1912…
Many many moons ago some old friends and I got together for my bachelor party. The guy who always used to pass out first kept going on about how awesome he was now, and generally was an all around bad a** these days. He passed out first. It’s still EARLY- maybe 9:30-10pm. So after he had been asleep for a while I had a bright Idea and communicated with one of my other buddies. I went outside and took the chain off my saw (MS361 24” w/muffler mod) and warmed up the saw so it would for sure start on the first pull.
So we go to the bedroom and my buddy flips the light on as I fired and full throttled the saw and jabbed him in the chest. He screamed and rolled to the side, and fell off the bed that was only about a foot away from the wall. Since he was flailing, terrified, and stuck, I just kept poking at him till he realized he wasn’t dying. He said we were jerks, we told him he basically asked for it, he came back out to the party.
Many times in life there is a balance. As the sun began to crest the horizon, myself and the last two others decided we should go to sleep for a bit. About 30 minutes later I feel a tap tap tap on my shoulder. One of my other friends had the sweetest little girl, and I crack an eye to see this angelic face.
“The sun is up!”
Yes it is- close my eyes
Tap tap tap - crack an eye
“It’s yellow!”
It sure is- close my eye
Tap tap tap- open my eyes
“It’s pretty!!!”
And so are you! Let’s go make some STRONG coffee!

Anyway, If I could remember his name I would go back and apologize.

Years ago, when everyone smoked, it was not uncommon for a cigarette butt that had been soaked in a creek for a while, to find its way inside the plug lead cap of a fellow fallers saw during a lunch break.
Saw would run until the butt dried out with the heat.

Works for dirt bikes as well. ;)

Nothing as mean as the chainless Texan Chainsaw mock Massacre above- but it sure frustrated a few.

I keep a list of saw/tree work -related pranks handy just in case.
You can flip a chain inside out and then tangle it up a little so the person will just think they missed a knot or spin up a chain with a loop in it and ask a friend to untangle your chain for you.

One other trick is a little more difficult as the victim needs to be carrying an axe. Pretend to notice it and ask if that's their axe. When they say yes, ask them how good they are with it. After they respond, tell them you know a good way to test their axe skills. Put a stick on the ground, get them to kneel near it, have them line up the axe with the center of the stick, and tell them you're going to blindfold them and if they can split the stick they've gotta be a pro with an axe. Once they're blindfolded, switch out the stick for a piece of their gear and get ready to bolt after they swing. I had a guy try that one on me, but I knew better than to be swinging an axe blindfolded with a crafty old tree guy hanging around.

A buddy and I went cutting up in the high wilderness area. While my buddy was off calling on nature, I took my 1/4" pocket ratchet and deep socket and loosened the de-comp plug on his saw until only 2-3 threads were holding it in.

We got all fueled up and oiled up, ready to go cut. We get to the first tree and he starts pulling...and pulling...and pulling. Saw won't start. He says it feels like it has low compression. I tell him that it's the high elevation, but that he's a "girly man" and needs to surrender his man card. He flips me off and keeps pulling. He takes a break and I offer to give it a go. When his back is turned I pull out the ratchet and tighten up the de-comp plug. A couple of pulls and I have his saw started and warming up. My buddy is totally perplexed. What? How? No way! I asked him if his husband knows how to start a chainsaw. I got flipped off again.

No...I never did tell him. Too much fun.

JQ

Years ago, when everyone smoked, it was not uncommon for a cigarette butt that had been soaked in a creek for a while, to find its way inside the plug lead cap of a fellow fallers saw during a lunch break.
Saw would run until the butt dried out with the heat.

Works for dirt bikes as well. ;)

Nothing as mean as the chainless Texan Chainsaw mock Massacre above- but it sure frustrated a few.
Lacking that, some kinds of paper in a spit wad will work.

One I still fondly recall is one I pulled on a new faller in his strip many years ago (1970s if I remember right).
We were winter logging. As I trudged back out to my strip after lunch break in a foot or so of snow, I spotted fresh snowshoe rabbit tracks leading to a clump of brush. No tracks leading out. I walked back to the pickup, retrieved my Ruger Single Six, returned to the rabbit warren and shot it.
Then I walked to Juan's strip where he was intent on a felling cut. I slipped up behind him and tossed the hare underhand under his running saw bar. Without seeing me, he screamed in horror, "I've killed a snow bunny. I've killed a snow bunny!"
It was all I could do to stay on my feet, I was laughing so hard. I was a better runner than he was, so he fell behind in the chase that ensued.
I'm still grinning 40+ years later.

my son routinely tries to "get" me or sneak past me when im outside working after his school bus drops him off. After I had enough of it I hid behind the truck one day with the 036, in full view of everyone on the bus I got around behind him and fired it off full throttle...that 8 year old's sneakers left black marks as he tried to gain traction in his moment of terror, I was about 10 feet away.. the bus driver about peed herself laughing

Back