Any Good Central Leader Here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Or, should I just get rid of it?

I bought lots of saplings from the Forestry dept. a while back, most of them were culls to begin with, but I planted them hoping they would turn out okay.
Some have, some haven't.
This one got hit my the mower, I cut it down to the ground but it's come back up.
Three shoots, the best-looking one got hit again, leaving a semi-straight leader.
The other two shoots are weaker.

The large tree in the photo was planted at the same time this one was - also a cull, but I've been working on it to straighten it up.

DSC05388.JPGDSC05391.JPGDSC05393.JPGDSC05394.JPG

Plenty of time to turn that into a great tree!

Pick the straightest...which in this case doesn't look to be the biggest.

Cut the other 2 at the ground. If anything else sprouts, cut that too.

If need be, get another branch (bamboo is used in nurseries) to use as a stake to keep it upright. But I avoid that I'd I can...the tree needs to learn to do that on its own. If you do prop it, tie it relatively loose, so there is still some trunk movement allowed.

(Oh, and to avoid oak wilt, cut between October - April)

Plenty of time to turn that into a great tree!

Pick the straightest...which in this case doesn't look to be the biggest.

Cut the other 2 at the ground. If anything else sprouts, cut that too.

If need be, get another branch (bamboo is used in nurseries) to use as a stake to keep it upright. But I avoid that I'd I can...the tree needs to learn to do that on its own. If you do prop it, tie it relatively loose, so there is still some trunk movement allowed.

(Oh, and to avoid oak wilt, cut between October - April)
TY, ATH for the vote of confidence in my little tree. :yes:
There's a monsoon passing through the area right now, but when I can I'll work on the tree.

TY, ATH for the vote of confidence in my little tree. :yes:
There's a monsoon passing through the area right now, but when I can I'll work on the tree.
You might put some protection around them so they don't get damaged again. The deer around here will eat those before they can take care of themselves.

Just going by this photo, I think I'd cut away #1 and #3.
#1 is farthest from the main trunk (the green X) and is bowed.
#3 is the thickest, but also the one that's been damaged.

Also, I have a couple bundles of 6' bamboo stakes I use liberally around the yard.

DSC05388.JPG

Back