Anybody Ever Change A Tip Sprocket In A Stihl Rollomatic Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to know. I would drive Bar #2 rivets from ‘B’ side. STIHL factory has different tools to set rivets.

Philbert
Now I don't feel so bad or thought that I needed new eyes!

Of course, I did that one from the other side which might be why it was so difficult.

If you are desperate, a 16 penny nail is 4.2mm diameter. Soft enought to cut and make many rivets out of 1 nail! Did that on some Homelite and Oregon bars when I
did not have enough rivets to fill the tip. A 5/32 pop rivet would also fit. Squeeze the
rivet into the hole, remove the center nail, and hammer away until the end fills the
opening.

If you are desperate, a 16 penny nail is 4.2mm diameter. Soft enought to cut and make many rivets out of 1 nail! Did that on some Homelite and Oregon bars when I
did not have enough rivets to fill the tip. A 5/32 pop rivet would also fit. Squeeze the
rivet into the hole, remove the center nail, and hammer away until the end fills the
opening.
I am not quite desperate yet. My friend with an arbor press is on vacation until the end of the month so I won't be able to take these apart until then and won't know if any of the existing rivets are reusable.

4.2mm is a hair too big to fit the one hole that I removed the rivet. Can't tell if the hole in the center axle had been deformed by peening the first rivet.

I took a closer look at the removed rivet and the mating hole in the bar. I originally thought that the original rivet had a high angle countersink. looking at the bar the chamfer in the hole appears to be 90 degrees and the outer diameter of the countersink measures about 5.3mm. So when the rivet was peened the head actually spread out about 1.0mm in diameter.

The OEM rivets also appear to be semi-tubular with a dimple in the peened end.

Most rivets I have seen with chainsaws have been solid. At least the OEM ones!

Properly setting rivets in chains will expand the shaft, which keeps them from spinning (except at the hardened center part). When guys don’t do this right, the rivets also pivot / spin at the tie straps, enlarging the holes, creating ’chain stretch’.

I don’t think this is much of an issue with your nose sprocket, but you want to set the rivets firmly, not just mushroom over the heads.

Philbert

I couldn't see paying half the price of a sprocket nose kit for just the rivets so I ordered a sprocket nose kit from the local Deere dealer. We'll see when it comes in. Mid-Atlantic Stihl seems to be back-ordered. I don't know where Deere gets their parts but they didn't indicate that it wasn't in stock.

I didn't have any great success or confidence in reverse engineering the existing rivets since the dimensions have been changed by the setting process. Hopefully, I will have better luck with the new rivets.

I just got confirmation from @DND 9000 that the 0000-974-0420 is the part number for a bag of 10! rivets. This works out to about $0.30 each which helps out the economics greatly! You could repair 2 1/2 bars for $3.00

The hucksters on Ebay are selling them as EACH as single rivets under that same part number! This also explains why they don't show the Stihl bag in the listing!

I just got confirmation from @DND 9000 that the 0000-974-0420 is the part number for a bag of 10! rivets. This works out to about $0.30 each which helps out the economics greatly! You could repair 2 1/2 bars for $3.00

The hucksters on Ebay are selling them as EACH as single rivets under that same part number! This also explains why they don't show the Stihl bag in the listing!
same thing with walbro #98-275-7 lever springs.....

I have seen them priced at $.68 for a bag of five from on line suppliers.

I suspect they are priced individually at around 10 bucks with shipping at sleazebay.......
no pics

For an update...

I actually tried ordering the rivet part number from a local Stihl dealer. What they sent was a single rivet!

So I refused that and put in a call to Stihl corporate in VA Beach. The first rep I talked to was just customer service and couldn't do anything but he escalated the ticket further up. I later received a VM message from a "Gary" who said that the part number was only for a single rivet.

So, @DND 9000 , apparently they count things differently in the U.S. rather than the EU. Is VA Beach messed up and is there any documentation to prove it?

I tried to see how some stihl sized rivets fit a Tsumura tip. Just so you know Forester sells the rivets for stihl tips too.

They were tad small so had to order the Tsu rivets. Ordered 30 but had 26 in stock. Told them just send the 26. Otherwise be another month. Right rivets shown in tip.

6 rivet 3/8 Tsu tips.

Forester rivets and tip on the stihl ES

tsurivets26.jpgg46632.jpg

I tried to see how some stihl sized rivets fit a Tsumura tip. Just so you know Forester sells the rivets for stihl tips too.

They were tad small so had to order the Tsu rivets. Ordered 30 but had 26 in stock. Told them just send the 26. Otherwise be another month. Right rivets shown in tip.

6 rivet 3/8 Tsu tips.

Forester rivets and tip on the stihl ES
Without dimensions those look bigger than the ones in the Stihl sprocket nose.

Do you have any of the forester rivets that you can check dimensions and see if they match what I posted for the Stihl rivets above?

Without dimensions those look bigger than the ones in the Stihl sprocket nose.

Do you have any of the forester rivets that you can check dimensions and see if they match what I posted for the Stihl rivets above?
It will be a bit but yes I have forester stihl 3 rivets and a tip for spare.
The Tsu are bigger why I needed those for my Tsu tips.

Old pic and this might be them. Not sure. Back when I was going through rivets on hand looking for some. I either had to big or to small for Tsu.

tsurivetwrong.jpg

It will be a bit but yes I have forester stihl 3 rivets and a tip for spare.
The Tsu are bigger why I needed those for my Tsu tips.

Old pic and this might be them. Not sure. Back when I was going through rivets on hand looking for some. I either had to big or to small for Tsu.

View attachment 1101926
The needed rivets are also for the roller nose sprocket and not the whole bar tip. The bar in question doesn't have a replaceable tip.

The needed rivets are also for the roller nose sprocket and not the whole bar tip. The bar in question doesn't have a replaceable tip.
No clue on roller rivets for stihl. Pic of roller tip your putting on bar?

Also you can about use anything for nose rivets. Make them from stuff that is same hole diameter and smash those ends.

Some old bars of mine I sold when quit racing.

rnbars.jpg

Back