Anybody use a reduced weight bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reduced weight bar for occasional milling

• Yes

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

sleevefullofaces

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Want to buy a longer bar (32") and like the reduced weight types. Anybody use one for occasional milling?

ETA: I would mostly be using the bar in winter for cutting spear holes in lake ice. I just want to make sure that I could use a light bar for milling if I ever needed the length. I usually get by milling with a 25".

I have a tsumura light 20" bar on one of my saws and like it alot. I was considering a 36" one as well for my ms660 kit saw. I ended up getting a archer bar and milling chain combo for $75. I just couldn't justify the cost of a light bar for milling since you aren't holding the weight, just merely pushing it along a log.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Milled the posts, floor beams and half of the floorboards out of pnw softwood with a 28” stihl lightweight bar on my cabin build. Worked great. Eventually went with a longer standard bar just because of the cost difference

I run a 20" and 24" light bar, ironically my 36" that I occasionally mill with is a standard bar. I dont need it for felling much. And it primarily stays on the mill, so I couldnt justify the added expense. They are nice when you get out that long though. Didnt really need the 20" to be a lightweight, but got a good deal on it and came with 2 no name chains.

I use a 32 stihl light bar and love it. I'd recommend stihl or cannon for your application. The tips don't hold up well to bore cutting on some of the other popular brands.

I have a tsumura light 20" bar on one of my saws and like it alot. I was considering a 36" one as well for my ms660 kit saw. I ended up getting a archer bar and milling chain combo for $75. I just couldn't justify the cost of a light bar for milling since you aren't holding the weight, just merely pushing it along a log.

How do you like that archer combo? I was looking at them. Is the ripping chain on them the same as a GB style chain?

How do you like that archer combo? I was looking at them. Is the ripping chain on them the same as a GB style chain?
I will have to shamefully admit that I haven't found the time to use it yet. The bar looks great though. I have used archer chain before and I like it. I'm not familiar with the GB chain but I don't think it's the same.

Latest posts

Back