Anyone ever try a Silky 21 foot pole saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've the longest Hayate that goes to 25 foot. I'm 5ft 11in and skinny like a rake and it is a challenge to handle when fully extended but I've manged so far. I also bought the Silky lopper attachment and the adapter to fit it to the Hayate, haven't yet had a chance to use the lopper.

I've the longest Hayate that goes to 25 foot. I'm 5ft 11in and skinny like a rake and it is a challenge to handle when fully extended but I've manged so far. I also bought the Silky lopper attachment and the adapter to fit it to the Hayate, haven't yet had a chance to use the lopper.
I've got the 25 ft Hayate also. Its not terribly difficult to manage at full extension, but I wouldn't want to put a lopper on the end. That last section might not like being side loaded as its pretty thin.

I've got the 25 ft Hayate also. Its not terribly difficult to manage at full extension, but I wouldn't want to put a lopper on the end. That last section might not like being side loaded as its pretty thin.

Is there a specific model number for the 25'? I only ever found the 20/21' model, and never heard or saw of a longer model.

The 2 models from Notch really are the only 2 aluminum 20’ range pole saws for sale in the USA right now. The model names used by Silky are now only used for the blades on the poles from Notch. There might be some Hayate poles left in a dealer inventory somewhere, but it doesn’t appear Silky offers them as a new product any more. When there aren’t some cubic centimeters of engine displacement running a cutting tooth for me, I can no longer imagine cutting wood without a Silky saw blade.

Thanks everyone, also including pdqpl and lone wolf, for the supporting details. I don’t spend $500 (poles + separate lopper) casually. I am going to pick up the 21’ Sentai and am quite pleased to be able to do that in a store soon.

I would recommend checking your area for a Vermeer dealer (or possibly other equipment brands) as I bought my Hayate through a Vermeer dealer in TN a little bit before production stopped.

Silky does still offer their poles saws, just not in the US. If you really want one with the Silky name on it, you could always just order from the UK....
However, the Sentai is identical to the Hayate....and may even be made by Silky....

The important part is the blade on top - still Silky. Just a lot of confusion on the model names trying to discuss these, including with some local friends who already own one or are also considering this purchase.

I will never give up my aluminum Bahco stuff, I know that.

Bumping this thread to give a small review and pass along one small tip that may help another user.

I was finally able to put the lopper head to use this spring, cutting Populus spp. branches on seed collecting work. At 21’ the lopper head was probably still easier to use than my 14’ wooden handle version. Everything was very smooth. It did feel like attempting professional visual pruning cuts at 21’ in the front yard of a million dollar home, well, I can’t speak to that application, thankfully.

So I am very happy with this investment. It was a very nice touch by Notch to send 2 sets of the mounting screws and nuts. I was hoping for a quick change option in the field to go from saw blade to looper head. I guess unsurprisingly, the looper head uses more than just the push button that holds the saw head - two nuts need to be threaded on two short studs also.

It was just my bad luck that the day I went to do this, that particular socket turned up missing, and so did a small crescent wrench. Gremlin attack on tool box. So I just spun the nuts on there, finger tightened them, and got right into using my nifty new extra tall lopper; worked just fine.

I did not discover the problem with this approach until a week later. Finger tightening the nuts was just fine for using the tool, but not for transporting it. Driving around managed to loosen each nut and make the little stud fall out somewhere into the wood chip debris surfing around in my truck bed - was so glad I had the spares.

So, if you put this pole saw + looper head combo together, do it right, with a wrench.

Latest posts

Back