Anyone familiar with this gauge and how to use it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rural trees often have bullets, along with iron fence, and nails from posted signs. There are ‘better’ (and more expensive) metal detectors that will scan deeper. Like most things, it is a trade off.

Philbert

Rural trees often have bullets, along with iron fence, and nails from posted signs. There are ‘better’ (and more expensive) metal detectors that will scan deeper. Like most things, it is a trade off.

Philbert
When I worked in a moulding mill we'd have moulding come out of the machine with bullets in them fairly frequently. They were all large caliber non jacketed bullets so I'd guess from back in the 1800s since our lumber came from large trees cut around old mining camps in the northern portion of Mother Lode country.

I am not doubting what you say in the least. It strikes me that gage is like using the words, "felling" and "feller"when the more correct words are "falling." and "faller." I guess it's the difference between what those in an industry use and what the rest of the world uses. Here's what Websters says about it. They high lighted the last sentence and gave the encouragement, I didn't. Personally, I think Steve Martin had it right when he said, "Some people have a way with words while others not have way.":cheers:
From Merriam Webster.
What is correct gage or gauge?
The verb gauge, which refers to measuring or estimating, also has a variant gage. This variant appears to show up primarily in informal sources, though not often. Gauge is by far the preferred spelling in general usage for both the noun and the verb; we encourage you use it.
I rarely argue with Webster, but the folks at Vermont Gage ( https://vermontgage.com/ ) might go a round or two... Same for PMC Gage and GF Gage, two other manufacturers we did business with.

In my mind, "Gage" refers to a tool like a thread gage, " go-no go gage, or the gage of a chain, while "gauge" refers to something that displays a measurement like a gas gauge, pressure gauge.
It's not my intention to start a hub bub about this sort of stuff. When it's your industry you can spell it gage and pronounce it "banana." It's my personal prejudice that makes my ears bleed. Everybody else in the world seems to do just fine. There were other examples of odd usage I've come across but thankfully I can't remember them at the moment.:cheers:

Never seen that version of guide that attaches to the dremel tool and, like you, I don't see how it's height relative to the stone can be adjusted. Let us know if you figure it out. The ones I've seen attach to the front of the dremel with 2 screws in slots and you adjust the height by loosening the screws and moving the guide up and down, a kind of trial and error messy adjustment. I keep mine set at 0.030" for doing the rakers and that's the only thing I use it for.
I think mine has been in the console of my truck since I bought it... never did get it figured so it would work.

I think mine has been in the console of my truck since I bought it... never did get it figured so it would work.
I'm terrible about reading directions but these made the two parts make sense. Turning it to get it to adjust the height didn't work for me but loosening the clamp, pressing the stone into the appropriate rounded slot and while hoilding the attachment against the top of the gauge while tightening the clamp worked for me.

I'm terrible about reading directions but these made the two parts make sense. Turning it to get it to adjust the height didn't work for me but loosening the clamp, pressing the stone into the appropriate rounded slot and while hoilding the attachment against the top of the gauge while tightening the clamp worked for me.
Mine is one of those "clip it to the battery" ones, and the first time I tried it, it was windy and cold and generally miserable (and I'm too short to comfortably use the thing within range of the battery anyway...) - so it just got stashed. I'll probably haul it out again and try your method when I can do it without my hands shaking. ;)

Mine is one of those "clip it to the battery" ones, and the first time I tried it, it was windy and cold and generally miserable (and I'm too short to comfortably use the thing within range of the battery anyway...) - so it just got stashed. I'll probably haul it out again and try your method when I can do it without my hands shaking. ;)
That won't be for another 4 months where you live I'd guess.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back