Anyone feel like explaining how the Ontario MTO handles chippers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI everyone,

I have been trying to get my head around the regulations here in Ontario Canada applying to my Bandit 100 chipper behind my F250 with a dump box...
I'm obviously a newer company since I'm running a "little truck" to stay under cvor weight (4500kg)

There are two main questions I haven't gotten a super clear answer on (or maybe I did but didn't comprehend lol):

#1 One place( Commercial vehicle operator’s registration (CVOR) | ontario.ca )says that when weighing the rig if the trailer is under 2,800kg it is weighed separate from the truck, not as part of the Gross Vehicle Weight. I interpreted this to mean that my truck can weigh 4,499 kg loaded and not need a yellow sticker so long as my chipper is under 2,800kg.

Has anyone been able to confirm this? My local service ontario folks said "no clue" and told me to contact the mto, I did last fall, and still haven't heard back.

My second question is if you guys (also in ontario) run plates on your chippers...? From what I understand it isn't required since they are considered a piece of equipment same as a log splitter or sawmill.
However, my vehicle insurance said they only cover plated trailers with the truck. Makes me wonder if I should plate my chipper... I have lights and brakes on it anyway.

Best of luck, I can't help with the canadian regs questions but

I'm obviously a newer company since I'm running a "little truck" to stay under cvor weight (4500kg)

I just wanted to share your pain with regulations around truck weight. Going through the CDL lisencing seems to only get more expensive and complicated, 2 of our 3 chip trucks are CDL if there's a chipper towed. which duh, that's what the damn chip box is there for. We aren't a very large company either and if we don't get another person on the crew CDL licensed before my dad retires then we would need to downgrade and run a second Chevy 3500.

I love that little CT but we would end up needing to haul a lot of material back in a dump trailer anytime there was more than one >16"
DBH removal on a job. Plus having the Chevy haul our 8,000 lb chipper that would normally be towed by either international truck doesn't sound fun for the transmission - plus if the roads are icy and that chipper decides it wants to go one way, the chevy isn't going to put up much of a fight.

anyways, i'm sorry this whole reply is a tangent more than anything. but i feel your pain. The only insight i can offer is that in Michigan chippers are not required to have plates. i know, super helpful and relevant to you. It does make sense that the insurance wouldn't cover a chipper or any other towable equipment. I mean who wants to be landed with a surprise claim from a clients $50k chipper? I'm not an expert but if you probably need to use commercial vehicle insurance that covers the hauled equipment or probably more practical option is having a bundled policy that includes general liabily, auto and commercial property insurance.

Back