Anyone replaced the tires on 22ton speedco wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have mounted a few boat trailer tires onto the cheap wheelbarrow type wheels. They are thin metal. The boat trailer tires are much better built. I had some from Sears that must be 40 years old and had slow leaks from cracking. Ten years now with tubes and they are working fine, so don't go dissing tubes too much.

I have mounted a few boat trailer tires onto the cheap wheelbarrow type wheels. They are thin metal. The boat trailer tires are much better built. I had some from Sears that must be 40 years old and had slow leaks from cracking. Ten years now with tubes and they are working fine, so don't go dissing tubes too much.

The problem with tubes is you have to take them apart to fix them. Thats the biggest down side to them. With tubeless tries you can just ream out the hole and stick a plug in it and air it back up. It's a lot easier and faster to fix. They put tube tires on a lot of things to save cost and tube can extend the life of a tire no doubt about that. It's just how much labor it takes to fix one is the main issue. And how many times have you pinched a tube putting it back together and then you gotta pull it back apart again. They are old school now that flat free tires are available.

With tubeless tires in many cases you can fix it without even having to take the tire off the equipment. Just find the leak, ream it out, stick in a plug and air it back up.

I have tubes in the front tires of my tractor because they are a 2 piece rim with a gasket that seals where the 2 piece rim comes together. They are tubeless tires but the rims are so bad the rim doesn't seal very well so I put tubes and a boot around the rim to keep the tube form getting pinched in that little groove. They hold up just fine, until you get a flat, then it time to take them off and apart to fix. Turns a 5 min job into several hours.

Where in the world could so many weird ideas come about about a couple of tires that are not going to be used for excessive speeds. Yes different rubber formulas make a difference on how long a tire will last in or out of the sun. For most plastics and rubber formulas the biggest killer is sunlight. I have several trailers that came with 8'', 10'' or 12'' tires and wheels. I have picked up an assortment of 12'' tires from the wrecking yards to have for spares or replacements. I often throw away any thing smaller than 12''. Harbor Fright has tires and tubes which can be used for wheelbarrows and smaller tire setups. If I have any questions about a particular setup I often will add a tube which can last for years provided heat build up from highway use is not a big factor. My larger trucks have split rims and tubes that have lasted for twenty years with out any issues. I have often been surprised at what tires fail and what ones I thought should have failed, but have not. Thanks

Tubes to still have a place and can be used to extend a tires life on low speed equipment, It's just repairing them that can be a pain in the ass.

Where in the world could so many weird ideas come about about a couple of tires that are not going to be used for excessive speeds. Yes different rubber formulas make a difference on how long a tire will last in or out of the sun. For most plastics and rubber formulas the biggest killer is sunlight. I have several trailers that came with 8'', 10'' or 12'' tires and wheels. I have picked up an assortment of 12'' tires from the wrecking yards to have for spares or replacements. I often throw away any thing smaller than 12''. Harbor Fright has tires and tubes which can be used for wheelbarrows and smaller tire setups. If I have any questions about a particular setup I often will add a tube which can last for years provided heat build up from highway use is not a big factor. My larger trucks have split rims and tubes that have lasted for twenty years with out any issues. I have often been surprised at what tires fail and what ones I thought should have failed, but have not. Thanks

On the big Mack trucks that I drove the tread would be gone in six months. With duel tandems when you turn corners it scrubs rubber off and leaves a mark on the road. Same with tandem trailers. Turning corners you tend to drag one axle on sharp corners and that scrubs off a lot of rubber. And you are correct about the UV issue. That's why RV'ers put a cover over there tires when they are parked, to keep the sun off them. I do the same with my trailers that sit and don't get used much.

On the big Mack trucks that I drove the tread would be gone in six months. With duel tandems when you turn corners it scrubs rubber off and leaves a mark on the road. Same with tandem trailers. Turning corners you tend to drag one axle on sharp corners and that scrubs off a lot of rubber. And you are correct about the UV issue. That's why RV'ers put a cover over there tires when they are parked, to keep the sun off them. I do the same with my trailers that sit and don't get used much.
Yup on all my dual axle trailers the rear tires wear out first. You can hear them scrubbing on hard turns . I cover the tires on my trailers and moms motorhome

Tubeless tires do have there issues as well. If you have to take the tire off the rim you have to break the bead lose from the rim and that can be a pain in the but. Especially on small tires.

Yup on all my dual axle trailers the rear tires wear out first. You can hear them scrubbing on hard turns . I cover the tires on my trailers and moms motorhome

I also noticed that with tandems when you do get a flat it 80% on the rear axle. The first tire kicks up a nail and the second axle tire picks it up.

Low profile car tires are the worst to try and do by hand. Second would be the tires on my kubota. Sidewall is so stiff it just laughs at ya

Yep, I have to take them to a tire shop and even with there bead breaking machine they are hard to break off the rim. There are some bead breaking tools you can buy but you have to have the tire and rim secured down in order for them to work. The back tires on mine are tubeless and I just use a plug and move on. I have even used plugs on the Mack tires with tubeless tires and they seem to hold up.

I just got back from picking up my Kabota that now has 2 brand new rear tires. I wounder if I'll get another 34 years out of them like I did with the originals. I had left a trailer tire there to repaired while I was already at the tire shop but they made a mistake and mounted a brand new tire in it. But good news is the tire was about 20 years old and it was just a spare a 700 R15 6 ply but they put a 700R 15 10 ply on it and since they made the mistake they sold me the tire for about half price. So I now have a brand new good spare.

Back to the PO sorry for all the distractions But like has already been said TS or walmart may have a tire wheel combo that would be as cheap or cheaper then just a tire. You could go with a tube but we have already been down that road. Might get on the net and shop around. You might even find one on amazon and have it delivered for a good price. The internet is a great place to shop and compare prices without having to go anywhere.

Hope I got it right, it's a Huskee 22 ton from Tractor Supply about 12-13 years ago.
Can I leave the wheel on the splitter and replace the tire/s ?
Tire size 480/400-8.
I'm looking for the same size for my huskee logspitter also but I need road use tires and do t know where to find them in stores

View attachment 801878
Don't agree. I have tires that are 56 years old still no cracks this is an original bias ply tire for my 1964 hawk . Not a crack soft and playable. My spare from my 07 dodge never sen the light of day is crack so bad I wouldn't use it. Garentee you take a new 60k warranty tire store it for 30 years and it will be so dry rotted you wont use it
Got a nephew at tire shop. He says guys are buying sets of tires, leave em sit a few years in shed to harden up, then mount em. They don't wear out as fast on gravel roads

Got a nephew at tire shop. He says guys are buying sets of tires, leave em sit a few years in shed to harden up, then mount em. They don't wear out as fast on gravel roads
I sent back the last set of trailer tires that I got online . They were 3 years old . Tire longevity is 7 years after that you’re risking tread separation and flats . I blew two on my way home when I picked up my Suburban tires were 8 years . Luck had after the second blew I limped off the highway and there was a tractor supply I bought 4 tires mounted . Thought maybe I was overloaded but the trailer had a payload of 5300 lbs truck is 390012C007A6-9CE6-4554-B77E-A9053ED87C8A.jpeg20190727_103344.jpg20190727_103330.jpg

Yeah, trailer tires are another story. They hit over 5 years and start getting iffy. Have had some on camper that were 10, great tread, threw on my flatbed trailer that gets used a lot, tread separation, dry rot. Didn't blow one but look sheety. Had a spare on front that just cooked and split between treads.

Latest posts

Back