Anyone Try The Fiskars XA22 Hookaroon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakers

Owner - Arbor Jake's Tree Service, LLC
Reaction score
Cruising the interwebs the other day and i ran across the new Fiskars XA22 Hookaroon. I see its relatively new and theres not much out there for reviews yet. has anyone tried it yet? i like the design and style of it and am thinking of getting one. one of the reasons i never bought the Logrite one is the round handle. the XA22 uses the same oval axe style handle that is easy to orient in the hand. Fiskars products have always been great to me so i see no reason why this one would be any different.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Gardening-and-Yard-Care/Axes-and-Mauls/Hookaroon-28inches

Hookaroon-28inches.jpg

Looks interesting. Let us know how it works out for you.
Why the 31 inch vs. the 28 inch at half that price? $88 vs. $42 on Amazon.

Home Depot has the 30 in. for $41, this is pretty tempting to get even though I made one myself.

The 30" from home depot looks like a pretty good deal. I have the logrite 30" model and LOVE it. The Fiskars is almost close enough in price to be not worth consideration (just buy the logrite), but it's different enough to be intriguing and free shipping to a home depot is pretty tempting.

I will say that the logrite is hands down a more durable tool. It's metal, it's made in the US, it's got replaceable tips. I'd love to try the Fiskars, though. It's priced low enough to be worth a shot.

Cool looking piece. I have a couple of pickaroons and rarely use them except when dragging smoldering logs into a bonfire when it starts to burn down.

I heard one time pickaroons were used in a bar fight at a local bar. Glad I wasn't around there lol.

I ordered both the 28" and the 12". I may not have much time to use them but they sure are back savers when splitting 16" long chunks. i use the old wooden handle one i have all the time and have often thought a short one would be handy when grabbing off a pile. time will tell if its worth it or not

Jakers, you get a chance to try out the Fiskars hookaroon yet?

heck no. too busy cutting trees for the tree service. been running hard the last two months between the frozen hard ground and now bone dry hard ground. easy working in the yards. i only use the hooks when im splitting at home, big equipment is used on the jobs

i guess i did try them in the shop a bit this winter. the long one works nice but the short one is pretty much useless. wrong shape and bends. it works ok on softwood if you stick the end of it but i usually stick the side and preferably lengthwise. I'll try it when i start splitting

Thanks.

Thought about trying one, handle seems like it would be a nice shape and tool should be pretty lightweight overall.

It is lightweight for sure. I expected it to have more weight on the head than it does

I have the same experience with both. The short one needs quite a snappy flick with the wrist to get it nicely embeded the long one is easier. As mentioned the head is really light. There are a few fellows in a german forum who have added a little weight to the head by using the hole in the rear of the stamped blade. With that it is supposed to work much better.
But the light weight is really incredible and you can work for hours without feeling anything.

I have had the 30" version for about a month now and it sticks really good in just about everything but shagbark hickory, although not much of anything sticks in shagbark hickory my 8# fiskars maul just bounces off of it. Shagbark Hickory is what made me buy a Northstar log splitter, incredibly tough and stringy.

I have two Logrites. They are great.

I have never seen Fiskars come out with anything that is not real good. The gear loppers which I use all the time in apple orchard are easily as good as Corona & Felco and the others costing twice as much.

I just used mine for the first time this week, definitely a keeper!
I can't believe how easy it makes moving the big rounds around the yard. I have a massive pile of 24"+ maple rounds, and instead of having to crouch and push to move them I can just stand and pull as needed.
I can't believe how easy it makes it to pick up splits, and stack them. My back is so happy now

Back