Anything new in 70+cc saws? / Stihl 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My largest saw is a ported ms362. Still wanting something for bucking (occasionally felling) 30+ inch diameter logs, mostly oak. Would want 28-32 inch bar/chain. Lighter in weight is a major plus for me. Two questions.

Over halfway through 2021... anything new around 70cc or more? Meaning new or improved.

How is the Stihl 500i doing regarding its acceptance?

Interesting... the 592 is lighter than the 585, yet more cc's and power. Why would someone buy the 585? Are these available yet? Cost?
The 592 is an Autotune saw, the 585 has a standard carb. The 585 is cheaper, some
people like to fix their own saws, that’s not easy and generally involves a diagnostic
charge for the Autotune saws.
1,199 vs 1,359 according to Husqvarna UK.

Stihl 462 would cut what you mention, cheaper and more efficient than 500i too.
Or Husqvarna 572 which is usually cheaper again, though slightly heavier than
the 462, but if it’s not the saw you use the most, then you won’t be carrying the extra
lb for long.

The 500i has been well received, efficiency improves after break in, best power to weight around. 462 is no slouch, efficient and light, excellent air filtration if that matters to you. The 572xp is a great value, built heavy duty, very efficient, built like a tank, but a little heavy compared to the Stihl saws. The Echo 7310 is likely the best value in the 70cc class, incredible build quality, best air filtration on the market, very simple and easy to work on, though heavier and a bit down on power.

I use both a 500i and 462 at work and I mostly fall and buck. I always find myself reverting back to the 500i. The weight differences is negligible and the power difference is very noticeable. The 462 certainly has power and is a great saw, but why not have some more grunt with hardly any extra weight. Since those two have been on my truck my 661 has sat gathering dust. The only downside I have found so far regarding the 500i is the fuel consumption is pretty high if you’re going from a 362. But power and cutting efficiency are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a TON of time on the 500i, but I have quite a few hours on my 462 and the 500 seems like a saw with some nice increase in grunt while not being noticeably heavier in the hand. The only thing I don't like about the 500i is the primer bulb. I've always said I liked the Stihls because of the lack of those as they need to be replaced periodically and that's just one less thing to deal with. Of course, you don't have a mode selector switch now, so you get rid of a mechanical switch/lever/etc but gain a primer bulb, so maybe it's a wash.

At first I was going to see which saw I liked more, the 500 or the 462 and sell the one I didn't use the most. But...it's not a terrible thing to have two medium saws right?

I don't have a TON of time on the 500i, but I have quite a few hours on my 462 and the 500 seems like a saw with some nice increase in grunt while not being noticeably heavier in the hand. The only thing I don't like about the 500i is the primer bulb. I've always said I liked the Stihls because of the lack of those as they need to be replaced periodically and that's just one less thing to deal with. Of course, you don't have a mode selector switch now, so you get rid of a mechanical switch/lever/etc but gain a primer bulb, so maybe it's a wash.

At first I was going to see which saw I liked more, the 500 or the 462 and sell the one I didn't use the most. But...it's not a terrible thing to have two medium saws right?

I typically use my 462 to climb with if I need anything bigger than a top handle and use the 500 on the ground. That being said during the summer the 500 seems to do better and not have any hot start issues, sometimes my 462 doesn’t enjoy the hot weather.

I typically use my 462 to climb with if I need anything bigger than a top handle and use the 500 on the ground. That being said during the summer the 500 seems to do better and not have any hot start issues, sometimes my 462 doesn’t enjoy the hot weather.

I've definitely had that problem as well.

I had a job for a guy that isn't in town much and the weekend we happened to both be available ended up being 95ºF for the high both days as well as high humidity....getting that 462 started was a real chore...but my gas was a bit on the older side and I think it was the tail end of the winter mix. I was able to get some newer gas for the second day and it was definitely a lot better, but it was still a bit hard to start once it got heat soaked.

EDIT: I have not climbed with the 500i yet, haven't had it long enough to be in that scenario with it yet. I probably will when I get a chance. The 462 is surprisingly agile up in the tree.

I've definitely had that problem as well.

I had a job for a guy that isn't in town much and the weekend we happened to both be available ended up being 95ºF for the high both days as well as high humidity....getting that 462 started was a real chore...but my gas was a bit on the older side and I think it was the tail end of the winter mix. I was able to get some newer gas for the second day and it was definitely a lot better, but it was still a bit hard to start once it got heat soaked.

EDIT: I have not climbed with the 500i yet, haven't had it long enough to be in that scenario with it yet. I probably will when I get a chance. The 462 is surprisingly agile up in the tree.

Absolutely. We recently switched from 362’s to 462’s. As a test we let my 500 and 462 sit in the summer sun for a little bit to see if there were any hot start issues. 462 took awhile to start whereas the 500 fired up after a couple primer bulb pumps. It’s the most reliable saw I have as of now. Have not had it through winter yet so we will see how it goes there.

Absolutely. We recently switched from 362’s to 462’s. As a test we let my 500 and 462 sit in the summer sun for a little bit to see if there were any hot start issues. 462 took awhile to start whereas the 500 fired up after a couple primer bulb pumps. It’s the most reliable saw I have as of now. Have not had it through winter yet so we will see how it goes there.

RAN THE 500 ALL LAST WINTER. CUT 350 CORDS FOR OLD COLONY FIREWOOD. SAW IS AWESOME! NOT ONE STARTING ISSUE. USED STARTRON IN FUEL.

Back