Apple variety identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agarg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Folks

We have this old apple tree in our backyard and we wonder what kind of apple this tree is producing. Is any of you learned folks able to identify from these two pictures?

Appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 416_apples_1.jpg
    416_apples_1.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 416_apples_2.jpg
    416_apples_2.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 12
Describe the texture, taste, what time they were ripening. I would think Cortland is going to be more of a cold northern variety as its an offshoot of Macintosh but maybe Santa Rosa area is more like New York climate than I'm aware of. Looks are hard to ID because there's been so much cross breeding. Certain varieties are more obvious.
If I were to guess without knowing the characteristics...Gala.

Describe the texture, taste, what time they were ripening. I would think Cortland is going to be more of a cold northern variety as its an offshoot of Macintosh but maybe Santa Rosa area is more like New York climate than I'm aware of. Looks are hard to ID because there's been so much cross breeding. Certain varieties are more obvious.
If I were to guess without knowing the characteristics...Gala.

Little hard to describe but is wasn't tart a lot. Less crunchy. Ripened on the tree in Nov. I think it may be similar to Gala.

there is so many combinations, nobody is going to be able to tell you. depending on the approxamate age of the tree. you could maybe get a better idea on what was popular at that time. galas/honey crisp have more of a crisp cider taste. those are a rather newer variety. a tree 20-30 years old is going to be more like a courtland/mac/ ida red.

Folks
I now realize the problem (read a little and youtub'ed a little). The tree is likely to be 30-40 years old.
I will try and close this thread as we would be trying to solve unsolvable.
Thanks for the responses and for helping me understand the conundrum.

Anil

Every apple seed that grows into a tree is somewhat different from it's parents.

Cloning is the only way to keep a cultivar once discovered. Cloning can be done via a rooted cutting but most likely done via grafting onto other rootstock.

Even if it's 30-40 years old it's probably a graft of a known variety. We have old trees that are at least 60 years old and are probably red and yellow delicious. That's what the look and taste like. They're certainly not root stock that has grown into a tree, those apples don't taste very good. They were abandoned for decades and we have been slowly bringing them back. The trunks are too gnarled to see the graft marks but if we're right about the varieties that's how the trees were made. The apples kinda lack character (other then being drier than those from irrigated trees) but we use them for bulk when making cider, along with real cider apples.

In Santa Rosa, Gravenstein is very popular (it's most of what is grown commercially in the area) now though it might not have been when that tree was planted. The apples look like they could be Gravensteins. Gravensteins bear really early.

Latest posts

Back