Arborist help requested: Recently moved to Bradenton, Florida, into a 20-year-old home with several large, mature live oak trees in the front and back

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusmembrane

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm concerned about one live oak in the front yard, with a large root that has grown against the side of the driveway (see pictures). I've read some other posts here indicating cutting a root like this could make the tree unstable, which I do not want to happen because it is close to mine and my neighbor's home. The root has not caused any damage, yet, but a portion of the root has come up slightly above ground level. It appears the driveway has caused the root to do a 180-degree turn and either drop below the driveway or is continuing to grow alongside. Would it hurt to cut away this section of exposed root? Would it make the tree unstable? What is the likelihood that leaving it be will result in damage later? FYI, the width of the trunk of the tree at chest level is about 19-inches, and the root encroaching on my driveway is about 10-feet from the tree trunk. Thanks in advance for your expert opinions.

Attachments

• mark front westside oak tree.jpg
    mark front westside oak tree.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 0
  • mark front west side oak tree root against driveway.jpg
    mark front west side oak tree root against driveway.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back