Arborvitae help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger34

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need Arborvitae help.
The last couple years our Arborvitae have been turning brown and becoming thin. We were hoping they would perk up during summer. They did a tiny bit but still look rough. We are in SE Wisconsin.

Is there anything we can do before winter to help them out?
Thank you!

Attachments

• 08862913-D9E9-4F71-BEDB-C28A6DE2B469.jpeg
    08862913-D9E9-4F71-BEDB-C28A6DE2B469.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Looks like weed or brush killer hit it.
I don't know, maybe water and trim to where the green can receive more sun light. Take care of any insects that might chew on it.
Your input is much appreciated. We don’t use weed killer and I don’t think our neighbors sprayed. We think because of how little rain we’ve gotten in the last two years, maybe that’s the issue.

We are in a drought situation here and have a severe case of leaf drop with our arbor vitae , pyramids, yews. Lost a couple small pyramids last spring and a few others look pretty rough. These are shallow rooted, with a lot of 6-8 inch depth roots which are quite fibrous. Your pool might not be helping as the roots branch out. Can’t tell what’s on the other side. Might be something else, but I would water well till it freezes. We are bone dry over 6 feet deep here And still raised corn and bean crops. Lawn was basically dead most of the summer. Had to water it at the end of summer for fear of loosing it too.

Back