Archer chain depth gauges too aggressive?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my first two loops of archer chain with my 28" Tsumura bar. Put this bar on my 462 and my first trees were some decent sized white oak in the 30-32" DBA

During the falling cuts, the chain was extremely grabby and bogged the saw a LOT. I thought it was because the saw was brand new and not broke in. I had to hold the saw up out of the cuts while bucking to keep it from stalling the chain out. Again thought it might be just the brand new power head. I sharpened that first chain a few times and when I went to hit he depth gauges, it barely touched....even after taking out a rock hit after the last oaks I fell and bucked.

So I got the brand new chain out and using my Stihl progressive depth gauge tools and even on the soft setting the file doesn't even touch that brand new chain.

Anyone else seeing this or did I just get a bad batch?

Not a big deal, I can just bring those teeth down a bit before getting into hard wood, but what a waste of chain. I rarely cut soft wood around here.

You have feeler gauges?

Can you measure the depth of the depth gauges on your chain? Then compare them to another chain.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

That is where the race to the bottom goes.
The price of a chain is partly the brand (husqvarna chain is often a tad more expensive than Oregon's, even when it's the same chain).
Partly the production cost.
Using less strict margins saves more in the production cost, then the material used.
I don't thing you will find this phenomenon in A brand chains.

That is where the race to the bottom goes.
The price of a chain is partly the brand (husqvarna chain is often a tad more expensive than Oregon's, even when it's the same chain).
Partly the production cost.
Using less strict margins saves more in the production cost, then the material used.
I don't thing you will find this phenomenon in A brand chains.
I’d have to respectfully disagree as Oregon 91 VXL is notorious for having depth gauges too low out of the box. On the other side of the spectrum I bought a brand new Jonsered with Jonsered chain and it wouldn’t even cut until I lowered the depth gauges.

I don't think we disagree. I didn't mean A brand chain is perfect. Just that all chains are pretty much exactly the same.
All to aggressive in that case.
It saves in production cost when you dont mind one chain is more aggressive than the one coming from the same production line an hour later.

I can only speak on their 3/8 low pro but yes, every chain I've gotten has been very aggressive out of the package.

Back