Are Carbide Chains Worth the Extra Cost?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyT

Ole Wood Chopper
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been running chainsaws for 60 years and have never run a carbide chain. Fire Departments use carbide chains on their rescue chainsaws. Lets use a Stihl 33RD3 20 inch .375 pitch 50 gauge 72 drive links for an example. Here's the question will the carbide chain actually outlast four regular chains if so are they worth $75 and up. The other question is can you hand sharpen them because at some point they will need sharpening? If you have run one just jump in with your pros and cons.

Never used one myself, but they say they are slow cutting wood. And require a diamond file or a diamond wheel to sharpen them. If you hit a stone or steel you’re likely to break the carbide tips off
Your right, you just jogged my memory. A while back I read an article that said carbide is hard but brittle. I wonder if the cutting edge is not as sharp. I have put chains on that were extremely sharp and would cut your finger tips if you weren't careful.

Going to extremes I don't think carbide will take a sharp an edge as high quality Steel.
I don't think chainsaw chain gets to that point though. I'm talking about things like hand planes and chisels.
I know you could cut your fingers on sharp carbide router bits

It's supposed to be better if the wood is really dirty.
Not so much on clean wood.
I've never ran one so I can't say from experience.

So I guess it is just a speciality chain for cutting through nails on a rooftop and not well suited for firewood cutting.
Above quote would be for the carbide chain used by fire departments not the Stihl 33RD3 mentioned in post 1

I only got one 55dl 63piccoduro.

There are certain soil types you can just essentially cut a box out a root infested box. Those soils would be rather rare around here.

Once a cutter chips the next good one in line on that side is much more likely to chip than a tooth in a healthy section. I think Stihl charges about $5 for a cutter.

To think the rivets/bushings/holes in the drive link will go 4 times as far if used in clean wood, well answer that on your own experience of chain elongation with use.

I am unsure how much damage the carbide cutter fracture off chips damage other cutters.

The dremel tool with a diamond properly sized cylinder works, cuts faster than one might expect the dust is supposed to be toxic.

like stated the carbide is a piece brazed on and the chip cut off wood won't have as smooth an exit as a conventional cutter. Stihl 33RD3

I have been running chainsaws for 60 years and have never run a carbide chain. Fire Departments use carbide chains on their rescue chainsaws. Lets use a Stihl 33RD3 20 inch .375 pitch 50 gauge 72 drive links for an example. Here's the question will the carbide chain actually outlast four regular chains if so are they worth $75 and up. The other question is can you hand sharpen them because at some point they will need sharpening? If you have run one just jump in with your pros and cons.
I would love to see where a 72DL of Stihl 3/8 carbide is $75, Show me the way.................

I would love to see where a 72DL of Stihl 3/8 carbide is $75, Show me the way.................
Bill, the way is on ebay $75.33 for one chain and $67.80 if you buy 4 chains. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1635444255...d=&campid=5338413729&toolid=10001&mpt=2682437 The way has been shown Grasshopper seek and you shall find! Hey Bill I've got some pink himalayan salt and it goes quite well on Crow.

Above quote would be for the carbide chain used by fire departments not the Stihl 33RD3 mentioned in post 1

I only got one 55dl 63piccoduro.

There are certain soil types you can just essentially cut a box out a root infested box. Those soils would be rather rare around here.

Once a cutter chips the next good one in line on that side is much more likely to chip than a tooth in a healthy section. I think Stihl charges about $5 for a cutter.

To think the rivets/bushings/holes in the drive link will go 4 times as far if used in clean wood, well answer that on your own experience of chain elongation with use.

I am unsure how much damage the carbide cutter fracture off chips damage other cutters.

The dremel tool with a diamond properly sized cylinder works, cuts faster than one might expect the dust is supposed to be toxic.

like stated the carbide is a piece brazed on and the chip cut off wood won't have as smooth an exit as a conventional cutter. Stihl 33RD3
Franny K. are the Fire Departments using that high dollar RAPCO Carbide Chain?

Franny K. are the Fire Departments using that high dollar RAPCO Carbide Chain?
I am not aware what sort of equipment the fire department has. Just that the chain you wanted to discuss is different than the rescue type chain. It is pretty amazing the choices in carbide chain when someone puts up a link to a place that makes a few varieties.
then there is chain to cut concrete and rock, diamond particles in segments.

No crow eating here. I clearly said.....

Apparently you read more into what I said that what I actually said.

No crow eating here. I clearly said.....

Apparently you read more into what I said that what I actually said.
Bill , you have to have faith and trust that some of the AS Members have done their homework correctly when the post goes online. I just didn't pull the $75 figure out of the air and make it up I researched it and found it on e-bay and I posted it for all to see. Basically you didn't believe me so I posted the proof. I rounded the figure off and even if I was 33 cents off there is no reason to be that critical and get your panties all in a wad.I would love to see where a 72DL of Stihl 3/8 carbide is $75, Show me the way................. You asked to be shown the way and that is exactly what I did.

Bill , you have to have faith and trust that some of the AS Members have done their homework correctly when the post goes online. I just didn't pull the $75 figure out of the air and make it up I researched it and found it on e-bay and I posted it for all to see. Basically you didn't believe me so I posted the proof. I rounded the figure off and even if I was 33 cents off there is no reason to be that critical and get your panties all in a wad.I would love to see where a 72DL of Stihl 3/8 carbide is $75, Show me the way................. You asked to be shown the way and that is exactly what I did.
You read too much into things. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back