Are FOP really progressive depth raker generators?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more pictures I hope. I'm not sure how to use this camera. Manufacture dates of my HDG (not HDG-6) and SDM-4. Also my Oregon chipper chain grinder set up for rakers/gullets and the manufacturers label. It's not exactly what I thought it was. Also my Bell K6A grinder.

Attachments

• DSCN0963.JPG
    DSCN0963.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0964.JPG
    DSCN0964.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0965.JPG
    DSCN0965.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0966.JPG
    DSCN0966.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0967.JPG
    DSCN0967.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0968.JPG
    DSCN0968.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Some more pictures I hope. I'm not sure how to use this camera. Manufacture dates of my HDG (not HDG-6) and SDM-4. Also my Oregon chipper chain grinder set up for rakers/gullets and the manufacturers label. It's not exactly what I thought it was. Also my Bell K6A grinder.
Do you have any liquid in the air on the Oregon.

Do you have any liquid in the air on the Oregon.
No, just air but it really helps to cool things down. My compressor has an 80 gallon tank and it's mounted in a cool place so the air comes out rather chilly. I hardly ever use this grinder. I have one of those really tiny saws that I use around the house (192 or something like that) and it has really tiny chain to go with it. That's what this grinder is for. I put the air on many years ago when I was all busted up and couldn't work but I could get around so I was grinding a lot of chain for tree climber guys. I think that was when I got my 510 Silvey because they ran chipper/semi chisel on all their bigger saws and the Oregon just didn't have the power plus I didn't want to have to keep setting it up for the different chains. I do use both of these grinders, just not very often.
Just thought of this. Wow! Could you imagine the mess with even a little bit of liquid in that line? Yikes!

BobL, I watched your Youtube video, and was impressed, but thought I'd experiment with a slight variation of the system.
I made a very rough prototype and experimented with it. This prototype is definitely not a thing of beauty, but it seems to work perfectly. By having a window in the block against which one holds the DAF vertical, one can eliminate the "The raker of interest is then slid a little away from the wooden block and filed, then slid back over the marked position".
Simply measure, file, re-measure. No moving the chain at all until one is ready to do the next raker.

View attachment 784193
(Referring to Kenlip's post #121)

Very minor mod to your mod: invert the backstop board, so the base of the ‘U’ is inside the vise jaws, now you can look right through it during filing. My hillbilly setup shown below.

I’m new to this spectacular thread - took awhile to read through it all and have it sink in, but I’m a believer. Like everybody else I’m in awe of BobL.

My first 36” chain took over an hour (zeroing on every raker, slow and conservative filing, lots of extra checking, etc.). A little spooky to take of that much material off so many rakers - am I really doing this right? Much faster now that I have a rhythm and feel for it. Dramatic improvement at the mill. Brand new Farmertec ripping chains cut quickly but set up big oscillations resulting in deep washboarding. Resharpening with the constant rake angle method showed huge improvement in the face of the cut.

Anybody know the details of how chains are manufactured and spec-verified at the factory? I measured several new chains from different brands and none seem to control for rake angle: within the same chain the measurements are all over the place. With robots doing the work I expected even very low end brands to be pretty consistent raker to raker, but doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m surprised the vendors haven’t picked up on this thread, slightly modified their manufacturing algorithm and started advertising rake angle consistency as a feature/competitive advantage (or maybe they have and I’m just too hillbilly to hear about it :)

Attachments

• IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
(Referring to Kenlip's post #121)

Very minor mod to your mod: invert the backstop board, so the base of the ‘U’ is inside the vise jaws, now you can look right through it during filing. My hillbilly setup shown below.

I’m new to this spectacular thread - took awhile to read through it all and have it sink in, but I’m a believer. Like everybody else I’m in awe of BobL.

My first 36” chain took over an hour (zeroing on every raker, slow and conservative filing, lots of extra checking, etc.). A little spooky to take of that much material off so many rakers - am I really doing this right? Much faster now that I have a rhythm and feel for it. Dramatic improvement at the mill. Brand new Farmertec ripping chains cut quickly but set up big oscillations resulting in deep washboarding. Resharpening with the constant rake angle method showed huge improvement in the face of the cut.

Anybody know the details of how chains are manufactured and spec-verified at the factory? I measured several new chains from different brands and none seem to control for rake angle: within the same chain the measurements are all over the place. With robots doing the work I expected even very low end brands to be pretty consistent raker to raker, but doesn’t seem to be the case. I’m surprised the vendors haven’t picked up on this thread, slightly modified their manufacturing algorithm and started advertising rake angle consistency as a feature/competitive advantage (or maybe they have and I’m just too hillbilly to hear about it :)
Each cutter is made and falls into container which feeds robot that puts pieces together into a long loop, or a smaller loop depending. Not much quality control available for the competitive market. That's how tuning our loops pays off so well.

Latest posts

Back