Are the clone saws good enough for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is noticeably quicker in 25 inch red oak. Only was man enough to run 1 tank through it then I grabbed my 250 and after a slight rest using it then I used the 362. 25inch bar buried and it handled it well. The 880 did good I still feel like it should have more low end torque but it is there just a couple thousand rpm higher than I figured.

It seems to act like it's not broken in fully yet it seems like it did pick up a little steam with the 41 inch bar buried.

Its tuned even checked the plug to make sure it is a dark brown coffee color it could be leaned out just a tad but ultimately it will be on a mill mostly so I'm gonna let it run a tad rich.

Just have to keep it in its power band I suppose. I will check the clutch and clutch bearings. Just as a precaution.

"Before I sharpened it a lot of teeth were at about a 15° angle obviously sharpened with a grinder of sorts. Like I said it took me 2 hours to file it by hand to get a 30° angle on it."

You know you need a ripping chain for milling, right? As I recall, ripping chains have something like a 10-15 degree angle, not the 25-30 on a crosscut bucking chain.

Yeah I have a milling chain on order. It had a regular cross cut chain on it when i got it they were fairly sharp just at all different angles some were at 30 some at as little as 10 took me 2 hours to get them all at the 30 like they were supposed to be.

Just glad I didn't hit the wire stuck in that tree. Didn't see it barely missed it. Still dulled the chain. It was about 8 inches in the dirt but alot easier to file than hitting that wire.

Found before and after pictures of 1 tooth. Before I sharpened

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211227-204500_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211227-204500_Messages.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 32
Not trying to be rude, but if your bar was 8" in the dirt, I'd recommend not running longer bars until you learn where your bar tip is at all times, in and out of a cut. There's almost no reasonable excuse why that should ever happen.

Just glad I didn't hit the wire stuck in that tree. Didn't see it barely missed it. Still dulled the chain. It was about 8 inches in the dirt but alot easier to file than hitting that wire.

Rereading it yeah looks like that. But I meant the tree had sunk into the dirt at least 8 inches. And yeah I'm not used to running a 41 inch bar nor am I used to running a chainsaw that weights as much as a 880. But I do know that as soon as I hit a little bit of dirt I stopped. I wedged the cut wide enough so that I could see in the cut (tree was only 4 foot wide) and finished cutting into the last 2 inches.

Rereading it yeah looks like that. But I meant the tree had sunk into the dirt at least 8 inches. And yeah I'm not used to running a 41 inch bar nor am I used to running a chainsaw that weights as much as a 880. But I do know that as soon as I hit a little bit of dirt I stopped. I wedged the cut wide enough so that I could see in the cut (tree was only 4 foot wide) and finished cutting into the last 2 inches.

I suggest investing in a good, stout peavey and or rock/tamping bar. They're invaluable tools of the trade, especially when milling.

Back