Are the clone saws good enough for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what that is, but I've rolled 44" madrone logs 8' long with a peavey and bar, plus some wedged pieces of wood, on gravely/frictiony ground.

And I'm not a big guy.

I'm saying there was probably an easy way to make those cuts without going in the dirt, dulling the chain, and taking up your time to sharpen.

Yeah the ex100 wasn't moving this one until I got it cut up.

Too bad I couldn't keep those nice big red oak logs. My step dad who is 85. He pushed them off into a gully so that he could start to damn it up and make a road to the back 20. Those logs in about 10 or 12 foot sections were heavier than the excavator. He grabbed a log picked part of it up and tried to bring the log to him and well the log didn't move but the excavator pulled itself to the log. They had some weight. The other one I need to cut up he tried to pull it with his d6 dozer and about a 1 inch cable and the cable broke before the tree moved its bigger than the one I just cleaned up for him. But all I have to do is cut it In half so he can drag it to the gully as well. Already cut the branches off of it. I don't know why he tried to drag it I figured the d6 could push it. But maybe not.

So I got my ripping chain the other day .404 it appears to be square ground. The chain also appears to have a lower profile than a cross cut chain. So the question is will my standard .404 round file sharpen this seemingly lower profile ripping chain that's supposed to be .404 ripping chain or is there a specific file for ripping chains?

The manufacturer will have recommend file sizes & angles for their various chains. If it's square ground (& you wish to maintain that) you need a special file

Thanks JD. I found the packaging last night and was looking at it and it says to use a 7/32 file so I pulled out my glasses and a big light and well it's not actually square ground chain looks kind of like it because of how it was sharpened from the factory it has grooves in it. I pulled out one of my untouched cross cut chains out of a box and well it has similar grooves. Until you file it. I just don't buy many new chains and so I've never noticed it before. This new in box chain is at least 3 years old I'm still running the green chain that my ms250 came with although it is close to the end it still cuts. When the green chain goes I'll put my yellow chain back on and put this new in box yellow chain in my chainsaw case. That 250 is now 6 or 7 years old and was my 1 saw plan for many years. Before that I had a ppb4218 poulan pro Walmart special for 10 years hated that thing because it I didn't know anything about chainsaws at the time. It was problematic for a green horn that had to heat with wood raise a family with at the time about 250 dollars a week. Thank God I got a little better job after a couple years. The great recession of 08 sucked around here. That 250 sure made my life easier around here it was twice as fast as the old poulan. I thought I was gonna choke on the $300 dollar I forked out for it. We sure ate lean for about 2 weeks after I bought it.

Hey everyone I have about 40 8to10foot long logs ranging in size from about14'' to 32'' in diameter. I have a ms362 but I don't really want to push it through that many logs milling. This is most likely a one and mostly done kind of thing. I don't want to justify buying say a ms661 or ms881 so the question is how good are these g070 g660 and g888 chainsaws? Will they be fine milling or will my 362 be able to run say a 36inch bar with auxiliary oiler and still live for the next 15 to 20 years? I was personally thinking I want the g070 because I just like the old school type saws and was thinking that a sub 9000rpm saw would last longer milling than one that gets up to 13000 plus rpm. If I was going to spend 2000 dollars on a chainsaw I would be better off buying a $3000 dollar mill. But for $400 dollars I'd get a 070 or 660 clone saw.
No

Thanks JD. I found the packaging last night and was looking at it and it says to use a 7/32 file so I pulled out my glasses and a big light and well it's not actually square ground chain looks kind of like it because of how it was sharpened from the factory it has grooves in it. I pulled out one of my untouched cross cut chains out of a box and well it has similar grooves. Until you file it. I just don't buy many new chains and so I've never noticed it before. This new in box chain is at least 3 years old I'm still running the green chain that my ms250 came with although it is close to the end it still cuts. When the green chain goes I'll put my yellow chain back on and put this new in box yellow chain in my chainsaw case. That 250 is now 6 or 7 years old and was my 1 saw plan for many years. Before that I had a ppb4218 poulan pro Walmart special for 10 years hated that thing because it I didn't know anything about chainsaws at the time. It was problematic for a green horn that had to heat with wood raise a family with at the time about 250 dollars a week. Thank God I got a little better job after a couple years. The great recession of 08 sucked around here. That 250 sure made my life easier around here it was twice as fast as the old poulan. I thought I was gonna choke on the $300 dollar I forked out for it. We sure ate lean for about 2 weeks after I bought it.

How are you doing with the MS 880? Have you got to any milling yet?

I have been doing some milling in smaller wood perhaps 20" to 24", some rock hard Beech but mostly just Spruce that tilts in the winter storms. Spruce might not make the attractive table tops and such but I just felt it a waste for those trees just to be left to rot.
So I started with a Farmertec 038 clone, I was impressed how it coped with the Beechwood up to 24" (28" bar) at the bottom 8 feet of the trunk. Mostly I used it with a 24" in wood smaller than that.
But pretty soon the problems started to appear; clutch springs lasted a couple of hours in average, I stripped the bar studs a couple of times atleast, the oiler leaked more than it delivered, and such...

So I decided I wanted something I could rely on and bought a new Dolmar 7910, the way I do things perhaps down a hill side at the spot where the tree is and because I'm not doing any mammoth size Oak trees I wanted something with enough power but still reasonable lightweight.
But there is only so much storm felled trees available perhaps one or two every second year, so in the meantime I had resolved the problems with my 038 that at this point had become a kit buildt Farmertec 381 where I had changed all problem parts with Original Stihl parts or other aftermarked parts and basically this saw now performed flawlessly, I use it at the sawbuck as well.
The result of this is that I continued to use the 038/381 because it now did the job and I did not want to use/spoil that new, nice and shiny expensive Dolmar unless I needed it. Well, now I have sold the Dolmar because I don't need it and I basically got my money back, and I know its in good hands because the man that bought it did need a reliable saw from day one.

So if you dont use the saw that much/often and are not utterly dependant on it, and are prepared to spend some time at the worbench resolving the problems that may appear the first 10 hours of use; then its absolutely worth it.

So far the ms880 is doing good ran it through about a 40 plus inch wood yesterday and it didn't bog down as easily as it has been I was able to put a good bit of pressure on it with out it bogging so easily.

I think the 880 just sat for a good long time and it just needed some run time on the carb. Or perhaps it isn't fully broken in. I checked the needle bearing on the clutch it looked just as good as my ms362s needle bearing. My 362 is a year or so old; and I've cut about 10 cords of wood with it also felled about 10 big trees and just cut them into 9 foot sections for the owners. Some said they would take them to the amish to get milled others just rolled them into the ditch and let the county truck pick them up. That's how it paid for itself. Hope the 880 can pay for itself also. Maybe I'll be able to sale some boards. After I build a new chicken/goat pen and refurbish my shed.

Something ain't right
Yes J D something wasn't right its been a little while and I've just kept using it but found it lack luster so I really dug into it and you know what I finally figured wrong with it... well it has a black HD filter and I finally decided to used a cleaner on the filter and lo and behold I found black mold clogging up my filter pleats dug the mold off and now that some a gun runs and runs good. It runs like a 880 should because my buddy's 660 was eating my 880s lunch now we are very close in 30 inch hard wood. I will have to replace the bar soon because one side cuts crooked because the gap is too wide on one half the bar flipped the bar and it cut straight. Problems with a used chainsaw just glad I figured it out. Oh the 362 is milling great but now it's time for the 880.

Yes J D something wasn't right its been a little while and I've just kept using it but found it lack luster so I really dug into it and you know what I finally figured wrong with it... well it has a black HD filter and I finally decided to used a cleaner on the filter and lo and behold I found black mold clogging up my filter pleats dug the mold off and now that some a gun runs and runs good. It runs like a 880 should because my buddy's 660 was eating my 880s lunch now we are very close in 30 inch hard wood. I will have to replace the bar soon because one side cuts crooked because the gap is too wide on one half the bar flipped the bar and it cut straight. Problems with a used chainsaw just glad I figured it out. Oh the 362 is milling great but now it's time for the 880.
That bar can be fixed easily with a bar rail closer.

I'd suggest replacing the filter & re-tuning the saw... will likely get you a further boost in performance.
In leu of a bar rail closer you can find an appropriately sized shim for the bar rail & carefully hammer it closed. Dress any burs before closing the rails or they will end up chipping chunks of

Well folks just an update on my used ms880 that I bought have had it a while now and well I've never been satisfied with how it's ran its cut some big wood but just seemed lacking I mean my ms362 was almost as fast cutting 40 inch chunks of red oak. Done everything I knew to do but ultimately I just ran it and been milling with it no real complaints just seems slow. My buddy's 660 will walk circles around my 880. Kind of wished I had bought that. But I finally after looking at everything I decided to try a slight muffler mod on it. I got to looking at that big Ole muffler and seen how the exhaust is all choked up and does a full circle around the muffler and seen how it was roughly 1.5 inches coming out the exhaust and gets choked down to what appears to be a half inch choke point coming out so all I did was make that exhaust hole from .5 inches to about 3/4 of an inch and wow. What a difference my 880 was only getting about 5 board 9 foot long before it ran out of gas I get 7 now. It seems to be a lot more efficient way more low end torque and about the same chain speed just cuts so much better. A 25 inch chunk of pine and it tries to 4 stroke in it unless I'm actually put effort to slow it down. 42 Inch sweet gum I cut the other day. It pulled all 42 inches with no problem and I was even able to apply pressure down and it just didn't care. Much more impressed with this saw now than I was at first. I probably cut that 42 inch sweet gum about 10 seconds quicker than it previously could have. Why would it come so choked up.

Honestly I would buy a trailer big enough to haul the logs and find a saw mill with a kiln if you seriously want to use those logs. I cut down loads of logs at my friends property and it was surprisingly cheap to have some really nice lumber made. The saw mill owner knocked off some money for a trade of lumber for mill time because many of the logs were red elm. You are talking a very expensive saw and a very expensive mill for some pine logs. And from what my friend told me you end up with more board feet because the mill blade is a lot thinner than a chainsaw chain so instead of chips you are leaving behind dust.

I may have went a little to aggressive on the rakers I didn't use my height gauge was just eyeballing it. I mean it cuts fine as long as I keep it above say 9000rpm but I just can't put alot of pressure on it using the dogs. Before I sharpened it a lot of teeth were at about a 15° angle obviously sharpened with a grinder of sorts. Like I said it took me 2 hours to file it by hand to get a 30° angle on it. That's why i lowered the rakers. Just figured that a 880 could handle a full comp cross cut chain with 41" bar a little better heck it acts like a unbroken in saw. At how boggy they are at first. Will run a few tanks in her today or tomorrow. If I can hold it up long enough.

I don't do any milling, but I know a bit about chain angles. I don't believe you should be anywhere close to 30° angle for ripping chain. Lowering the rakers (depth gauges) will definitely slow any saw down.

Full comp chain on a 43" bar is quite the load. Is that .375 pitch chain, too? For that length bar, you should be on semi- or full-skip chain.

Yeah I have a standard cross cut chain and a ripping chain I just swap as needed. Since I've opened up the muffler just a tad bit that 880 will give that 660 a run for it in say 25 inch hardwood now we go to the 42 in sweet gum I'm pretty sure I'd beat him in a cookie race. Yes it pulls that full comp chain like a boss now. But before it would bog down and I had to keep my rpms up if i stopped cutting it didn't have the torque to start cutting again until i lifted the chain off the log and got some rpms going then started cutting it used to be aggravating to run in anything bigger than say 28 inches. I could bog it in 25 inch pine if I tried but I don't think I could now. It just holds the rpms so much better than it used to. Just a slight mod I mean I still have the spark arrestor, it still makes a circle around the back of the muffler and comes out the side. I just don't know why it didn't perform better to begin with. Sthil messed up with that muffler design I guess it may have been choked up to meet epa. It maybe one of the last 880s and they had to design the new 881 and to meet epa they choked it up with that little bitty half inch or smaller hole. Just much happier with it now than I've ever been.

Yeah I have a standard cross cut chain and a ripping chain I just swap as needed. Since I've opened up the muffler just a tad bit that 880 will give that 660 a run for it in say 25 inch hardwood now we go to the 42 in sweet gum I'm pretty sure I'd beat him in a cookie race. Yes it pulls that full comp chain like a boss now. But before it would bog down and I had to keep my rpms up if i stopped cutting it didn't have the torque to start cutting again until i lifted the chain off the log and got some rpms going then started cutting it used to be aggravating to run in anything bigger than say 28 inches. I could bog it in 25 inch pine if I tried but I don't think I could now. It just holds the rpms so much better than it used to. Just a slight mod I mean I still have the spark arrestor, it still makes a circle around the back of the muffler and comes out the side. I just don't know why it didn't perform better to begin with. Sthil messed up with that muffler design I guess it may have been choked up to meet epa. It maybe one of the last 880s and they had to design the new 881 and to meet epa they choked it up with that little bitty half inch or smaller hole. Just much happier with it now than I've ever been.
@pdqdl is right about your angles, a dedicated ripping chain wants to be less than 10° on the top plate. You do want your rakers a bit lower though.
Did you retune after your muffler mod? I suspect your saw may have been underpowered as a result of being too rich. Even standard, an 880 should run rings (or slabs) around a 660 when it comes to milling... especially as the cuts get wider. If you're cutting soft wood like pine it should pull full comp .404 through 50" without missing a beat. Add an aux oiler & run skip chain & I'd expect it to cut 50% more!
@BobL may have some valuable insight to add to this

Back