As only a homeowner, is this the end? (Pic heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBoy32

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I began my journey after buying our first house on a large wooded lot. I mostly ignored the woods for the first few years not really knowing where to start. Trees were(and still are) down everywhere, and the problem seemed to only compound every winter and storm that came along. A huge oak fell and almost hit the house, and at this point I knew I needed a chainsaw. My grandfather gave me this in non-running condition. He said the tank was cracked, it leaked oil, and good luck fixing:
IMG_20170308_202252.jpg
I cleaned that up, usual stuff like a plug and filters, and discovered the oiler ports were all gummed up with old wood pulp. Cleaned those out really good and it stopped seeping oil all over after being shut off. Good saw, but heavy as heck. Also got a parts Timber Bear around that time for like $20 still running, but lower compression. Tha parts saw came with a free Poulan 2150 and a ryobi weed whip. So I came to this site and eventually, with the help of chipper1 decided I needed a big ole Stihl 044. So I bought this for what I think was a bargain:
IMG_20170308_202341.jpg
I cut up the oak almost entirely with the 044 w/ 24" bar, and realized I couldn't move my left arm or elbow anymore. Sore as hell I started looking for a lighter saw to get the smaller stuff without disabling myself for a week of recuperation. I settled on the 026, but after a few deals fell through, and with the realization that they always go for $200+ I was open to anything cheap, light, powerful, and reliable. I lucked upon a closed port Husqvarna 55 that needed some TLC. After buying the parts I needed, lo and behold a minty Husqvarna open port non-rancher 55 popped up at a price I couldn't pass up. And so I now had twins. One Danny Devito, and one Ahnuld Schwarzeneggar:
IMG_20170308_203128.jpg
A friend called me yesterday and while we were talking, he asked how many saws I have now. I'm at six counting the parts McCulloch and Pootlawn. I have the feeling more saws will be added to the collection by the end of spring, but I don't know where to stop or what to sell and what to keep. Any advice? Haha just kidding I'm not selling any of them. On another note, should I clean and dress up the closed port 55 in the new minty plastics, or leave it be and use the heck out of it? One of them has to sit the bench.
IMG_20170218_112631.jpg

You also live in Alaska. I've spent a total of $520 acquiring my saws, all six of them not counting bars, chains, maintenance items. Its just fun to get a deal, tinker around with them, and make doing work around the house seem more like a hobby than a job. Here's a better question, how many saws have you EVER had? lolz....

You also live in Alaska. I've spent a total of $520 acquiring my saws, all six of them not counting bars, chains, maintenance items. Its just fun to get a deal, tinker around with them, and make doing work around the house seem more like a hobby than a job. Here's a better question, how many saws have you EVER had? lolz....

Not sure what living here has to do with saws? I just have no need to have a bunch of saws.

4 is the most I've ever had at once. Pretty much just use 2. Keep one by the processor and 1 by the log deck.

Now the shop probably has 500+ saws between running and parts saws, but they aren't mine, and a lot of that is because nothing gas been tossed in 30 years. I'm slowly cleaning the junk out, either selling it or tossing it, or putting it away in an organized area.

I was thinking shipping costs to AK were a lot. I work in health care as my full time job and I only have 4 pairs of scrubs if it matters. I also hunt and only have 4 shotguns. I'm just currently obsessed with something new that I didn't think could be fun at all, but its turning out to be.

guy sounds like me. started with 260 pro. traded it and a little cash for a 170 and a 036 pro. 036 piston scored and guy gave me a ms250 and a 034 av pro to make deal square. bought a near mint 271 and a 310 for 385$.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

recently got a 455 Husqvarna and an 026, 031av out of a scrap pile

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Definitely an illness. I curently have 30+ mostly non-runners. I love working on them and bringing them back to life. I just received a 24" bar for my Pioneer P41 I resurrected last year, but sadly no large logs to try it on. I heat my house with wood, but honestly I could probably get by with 2 cheap Poulans in south GA.

IMG_20170224_160902.jpg I started with the 2 echos I could do everything I'll ever need to with those two saws. Then I needed a builder hence the pile of parts that is a 55 beside the table its getting a 51 top end cause I got the jug for free. The grey Craftslan 3400 I bought to give to a friend and it just never left leading to an old poulan addiction I never saw coming. Just picked up the little 2300 last week. My 590 is being ported as we speak. The only way to stop it is leave AS forever and hide in a cave :lol:

If your saw with the "gooy" plastic runs good keep it that way & run it like you stole it. Fancy shelf queen like plastic won't make it run any better as long as the old cowlings aren't broken & not offending to your eye why spend on some thing that will not improve the working capability of said machine; put the cash toward a new chain & perhaps bar for it that will affect it's working ability I remember some years back after a big storm the Local Mayor rang around asking for help with the clear up, a guy turned up with possibly the most knackered looking Husky Iv'e ever seen. He fueled/oiled it, it started 2nd pull coughed the 1st & that day he cut as much as every one in most cases more & at days end it was still firing up 1st pull, as he said it's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog. If it's good mechanically & every thing is set right looks don't really amount to much unless it's a show "jobbie" But only you can decide how shiny you have to have it.

Good advice about the plastics. My wife claimed the minty looking 55 as the one she will use, so I guess it will stay looking good for a long time. She even cut some stuff with it yesterday, but stopped after she saw she got oil on her clothes. I made this video earlier this year, and I'm obviously a rookie, so don't laugh too hard.

Here's a couple of tips for you: get yourself some chaps, and get an 18" bar and some chains for your 044. Keep the big bar for when you need it, but leaving the 18" on most of the time will make that saw much less fatiguing to use and more practical for most tasks.

sounds like you got CAD , like the rest of us!!--

i've only bought one NEW saw in years and years--and bought one open box saw that is like new-- recently

the rest i made from parts or bought used--

if i find a good deal and have a few coins ???-- i may end up buying some more--lol

never hurts to have a few spares--lol

Back