Asplundh chipper JEX

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leigh_B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have acquired an Asplundh chipper Model JEX 8737. I would like to aquire manuals for it. Also, is there a way to determine the age? Any help and info is greatly appreciated.

Hello all,
I have acquired an Asplundh chipper Model JEX 8737. I would like to aquire manuals for it. Also, is there a way to determine the age? Any help and info is greatly appreciated.
They are all pretty basic machines.
Make sure the the blades clear at 0.035 and your drum bearings are tight. The rest is just like a generator or a light set gen.
The ones made before 1963 have the heavier steel. Not much else changed on the drum section that I could find when studying them before I bought mine.

Maybe Ray can help you out with manual or knows where to get one.

GL

Edit:
Missed the post above.
My page didn't reload correctly.

No worries lighting. A person at altec send me a pdf for jey to lex. Sadly it does not help with vin numbers or anything but it does give all the blase and anvil settings and part numbers but the part numbers probably don't cross to anything anymore...

Attachments

• WOODCHIPPER MANUAL.pdf
    17 MB · Views: 8
They are all pretty basic machines.
Make sure the the blades clear at 0.035 and your drum bearings are tight. The rest is just like a generator or a light set gen.
The ones made before 1963 have the heavier steel. Not much else changed on the drum section that I could find when studying them before I bought mine.

Maybe Ray can help you out with manual or knows where to get one.

GL

Edit:
Missed the post above.
My page didn't reload correctly.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I see they're pretty simple. I've been puttering away at things. The usual tune up stuff, replaced a couple of gauges, new alternator and some wiring. I installed some wire mesh on the side closest to the drum. Runs decent and chips well.

No worries lighting. A person at altec send me a pdf for jey to lex. Sadly it does not help with vin numbers or anything but it does give all the blase and anvil settings and part numbers but the part numbers probably don't cross to anything anymore...
Thanks for the reply. I would like to find the age of the machine. It has a Ford 351 windsor in it for power

Thanks for the reply. I would like to find the age of the machine. It has a Ford 351 windsor in it for power
I too have a quest to find the year of my machine from the serial # on the intake chute but there is no info on the interwebs. Another thread on this site says "willy" at altec can do it but the person whole sent me the manual (I emailed it to you ) said they have never heard of a Willy. So if you figure out a decoder please let me know ! You can figure pretty close off your engine casting numbers assuming it's the original engine. Mine is a JEX and it's a 330 ford engine .

Mine has the newer four cylinder Ford industrial engine. I think my machine had a motor update. The rest is a bit older and the original had the smallest four cylinder. This is a midsize motor with a mechanical governor.

The 351W was only made in the seventies and eighties I do believe in trucks and equipment. Mostly truck motors were used in these things so check the heads or the block for production dates. Found no production dates on my bell housing although I could have missed them during the tear down. My intention was to inspect the clutch and it was all very nice inside. Getting the starter right was my main goal. The gear and bendix nose drive were badly worn and likely original. The starter was good so it got rebuilt and the nose drive was replaced. The flywheel gear drive ring was iffy so it got flipped. I didn't do the alternator update but my gen still works fine. GM internal regulator is the way to go if you make the update.

Mine has the newer four cylinder Ford industrial engine. I think my machine had a motor update. The rest is a bit older and the original had the smallest four cylinder. This is a midsize motor with a mechanical governor.

The 351W was only made in the seventies and eighties I do believe in trucks and equipment. Mostly truck motors were used in these things so check the heads or the block for production dates. Found no production dates on my bell housing although I could have missed them during the tear down. My intention was to inspect the clutch and it was all very nice inside. Getting the starter right was my main goal. The gear and bendix nose drive were badly worn and likely original. The starter was good so it got rebuilt and the nose drive was replaced. The flywheel gear drive ring was iffy so it got flipped. I didn't do the alternator update but my gen still works fine. GM internal regulator is the way to go if you make the update.
It had a gm alternator on which did not have the

It had a fried gm alternator on it. But the field and voltage sensing wire was never installed. So, it got replaced with a new one which I had to machine a keyway into the shaft. Also I had to machine off about .060" off the pulley. Haven't had a chance to take any casting nutoff the heads, block or intake yet

Post your email and i will fwd the manual PDF to you
I am in Australia just found a Whisper Chipper with Ford 6 on it. Can you send the manual you please hoping it it suits. My chipper has auto feed still hunting where the ID plate is it is a sort of Orange color.
Found manual it is a Whisper Chipper JEY 616.

Latest posts

Back