Asplundh lr-50 lift ?s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diy mechanic mike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, has anyone ever replaced the pivot cam on the upper/lower boom connection point? my cam is cracked between the two cable grabs obviously not going up in it til I swap it out which I have a spare from another truck but I'm trying to get it apart and I just got the pivot pin out and the four bolts out that I thought connected the upper boom end to the lower boom end but it's not breaking loose. There are two keys in it and it seems to me they just align it for the bolts.... but not sure cuz it's not coming apart. I'll post some pics of the project......

There is one of the keys, I think are for just aligning it up for the pin to go thru but not 100%. Hoping there is another crazy person like myself out there that has done this or can maybe help out??

Attachments

• 20181119_144835.jpg
    20181119_144835.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 3
So is there anyone that could tell me how this separates? I have been trying to press it apart with a 5ton bottle jack and its not budging but im also being careful not to push it to much cuz im not exactly sure how it comes apart. Part of me is wondering if the lower connection point of upper boom is threaded onto the lift cam shaft and thats why the set keys are there to keep it from unthreading while the cam turns to lift boom, but that also seems like overkill considering it has set keys/weld-on retainers with four bolts bolting the corners together also keeping it from turning. But im not 100% sure, would be great if someone who has messed with one could pop on and say cuz idk who i could even contact about it since they are obsolete. Anyone know an old asplundh manufacturing division mechanic that worked on these? My service and parts manual dont show or say anything about this issue. "My luck" seems to always pan out this way with parts/service books. Haha

is anyone still using an 1980s era bucket truck? with the cable driven upper boom, hydraulic lower boom? I hear Asplundh recommends retiring those fiberglass booms after so many years, but my boom doesnt have any cracks, i guess i need to have it Xrayed inspected, especially at the ends where it sleeves the metal joints. any advice/ input here? thanks.

Call Allan Black. Superior aerial. (919)528-2535. Or. (330)577-6046. He knows it all. Worked on them all. He’ll get you straightened out.

is anyone still using an 1980s era bucket truck? with the cable driven upper boom, hydraulic lower boom? I hear Asplundh recommends retiring those fiberglass booms after so many years, but my boom doesnt have any cracks, i guess i need to have it Xrayed inspected, especially at the ends where it sleeves the metal joints. any advice/ input here? thanks.
I had one and Asplund was after me to scrap it. The upper cable was frayed. I sold it but after that found out Rockford Riggng could do it for $350

Back