Atlas Therma Fit gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Background..my whole life I have endured frozen hands. sucks. I never did solve my cold weather hand gear no matter what I tried. About the only thing that worked was huge chopper mitts, then you can't actually *do* much of anything.

So, I have been getting by with this or that I found locally, and have read the reviews on the atlas gloves here, almost all good, so, having a bit of spare coin now, was going to order some. I had a question on fit, I have always tried on gloves first when buying in stores, so I called the manufacturer, they are actually quite close to me it turns out. They were kind enough to comp me a pair after discussing sizing. I ordered the large, based on taping the distance around my hands. Fit to the palm is OK, but the glove fingers are too long unfortunately.

I *like* the build so far, they seem very good, plenty warm enough for around here, grip with the rubberized compound is good, price is sure good, but am thinking the mediums might be better, so, here's my main question, anyone here have any of the mediums?

I know this might sound trivial, but buying by the dozen I would rather make sure of finger length.

TIA guys, and feel free to inject any other glove discussion you might want.

Try Northern Safety. They have the Atlas as well as their own brand. I think the NS brand was $2.50 a pair give or take. I bought an assortment of gloves about a year ago including the Atlas, NS brand and even the Dewalt branded ones. My personally take was that there was zero difference across the three brands. All were the rubber coated, nylon string ones.
Okay just tried on a pair of the NS Ruf-Flex medium that I had bought for the wife. I normally wear large. The mediums fit okay, little snug, the fingers are too short for me.

I bought some cold-weather gloves at a local Carhartt store - I don't think they are Carhartt brand, though. They work wonderfully, and the fit is really good - none of that extra 2" on the pinky finger and all that. Darned if I can't remember the name of them, and I'm not sure where they are at the moment.

I wear these gloves everyday and the non insulated one during the summer. Trust the measurement even if the fingers are a little long once they break in and they'll shrink a little from getting sweaty or wet then they'll fit perfect. The fingers on new ones are a little long for me too but they end up fitting fine.

I bought a dozen of the Atlas thermal. They fit great but aren't the warmest if it is below say 15-20 degrees. Dexterity is great. Very good for splitter work, and cheap too.:clap:

The "Thermal" ones work great for me from about 10 deg up to about 40. I carry two pairs, and swap out the current pair when they get extra-"dewy". When it gets really cold, "Ninja Ice" gloves keep my paws toasty, and grippy. (They work under ice-water, even.)

Both of them are essentially impervious to splintery splits, that do leather gloves in after a day or two.

So Zogger, the Atlas thermals keep your perpetually cold hands warm even when you're not working up a sweat? I have girly hands too, always a bit on the cold side unless I'm moving around. I've tried a bunch of gloves on but none of them work too great.

Zogger, I have not seen a pair of 'Choppers' in over forty years!!!! since I wore my dads out shoveling his driveway. He was fifty when I was born, career Coast Guard, many years off the coast of Alaska, where my brother and sister were born. He used to say, 'I didn't ask you, I told you!' Good guy though. Choppers... leather mitts with wool mittens in them. The best when it gets single digit and heading south. Or would that be north. Is south colder, or is north colder? Now I'm confused...

The "Thermal" ones work great for me from about 10 deg up to about 40. I carry two pairs, and swap out the current pair when they get extra-"dewy". When it gets really cold, "Ninja Ice" gloves keep my paws toasty, and grippy. (They work under ice-water, even.)

Both of them are essentially impervious to splintery splits, that do leather gloves in after a day or two.

I'll look at those as well. Been getting an amazon order together here.

Zogger, I have not seen a pair of 'Choppers' in over forty years!!!! since I wore my dads out shoveling his driveway. He was fifty when I was born, career Coast Guard, many years off the coast of Alaska, where my brother and sister were born. He used to say, 'I didn't ask you, I told you!' Good guy though. Choppers... leather mitts with wool mittens in them. The best when it gets single digit and heading south. Or would that be north. Is south colder, or is north colder? Now I'm confused...

I figured they still had them. That was the only way I could do anything mid winter/coldest when I lived up there as a younger guy and kid.

Same here, shoveling snow, going camping or sledding in the winter, etc.

I have some thick puffy looking cold weather gloves, but I ain't using them to work with much, forking hay inside the barn when it is wicked cold is it. Too expensive, tear em up fast if used for firewooding.

So Zogger, the Atlas thermals keep your perpetually cold hands warm even when you're not working up a sweat? I have girly hands too, always a bit on the cold side unless I'm moving around. I've tried a bunch of gloves on but none of them work too great.

So far working fine, worth it for only 3 and change a pair by the dozen for sure, wish I had gotten this pair beginning of season. I've been using the thin summer weight home despot cotton/latex/rubber cheapos, bought a pack of ten last year, only on I think second pair. They work down to high 20s, after that and windy, nope, hands freeze. Basically anything below actual freezing pioint 32 and my hands feel it bad. It's only been cold early in the morning here lately, by 10 am or so don't even need gloves unless handling steel, even with the snow and ice still on the ground.

Funny as heck yesterday evening, puddles still frozen over in front of the barn, and dang if those spring peeper frogs weren't out there peeping someplace. Hard to spot them rascals, i was trying to get a pic of a live frog against the snow. I could hear them, but try sneaking up on the sound, they go silent and disappear.

So far working fine, worth it for only 3 and change a pair by the dozen for sure, wish I had gotten this pair beginning of season. I've been using the thin summer weight home despot cotton/latex/rubber cheapos, bought a pack of ten last year, only on I think second pair. They work down to high 20s, after that and windy, nope, hands freeze. Basically anything below actual freezing pioint 32 and my hands feel it bad. It's only been cold early in the morning here lately, by 10 am or so don't even need gloves unless handling steel, even with the snow and ice still on the ground.

Funny as heck yesterday evening, puddles still frozen over in front of the barn, and dang if those spring peeper frogs weren't out there peeping someplace. Hard to spot them rascals, i was trying to get a pic of a live frog against the snow. I could hear them, but try sneaking up on the sound, they go silent and disappear.

I saw the Atlas gloves in a store nearby, I think. It looked a bit thin so I figured there's no way it could keep my fragile little fingers warm. I've resorted to wearing those puffy winter gloves but they're still not doing too great. I'm also tearing them up quick handling firewood.

No frogs in my yard although I wish I had some. Skeeters are real bad during the summer. Those suckers love my blood.

I saw the Atlas gloves in a store nearby, I think. It looked a bit thin so I figured there's no way it could keep my fragile little fingers warm. I've resorted to wearing those puffy winter gloves but they're still not doing too great. I'm also tearing them up quick handling firewood.

No frogs in my yard although I wish I had some. Skeeters are real bad during the summer. Those suckers love my blood.

The Therma Fit models say that right on the glove, and aren't thin, they are like three times thicker than normal summer weight. Atlas makes a buncha different models.

Put in my order, had to watch it, ordering off the big river can get spendy fast..hahaha a dozen large, a single pair medium and my 394 coil module thing.

Back