Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inherited a medium sized hatchet from a next door neighbor to where I grew up. I like it a lot because of its weight and use it as my log marking hatchet. I don't remember if I broke the handle or if I got it without a handle, but I put a new one on it. I've got several wedges in it, but for the life of me, I can't keep the head from slipping.

I think I remember from a shop class many, many years ago something about soaking the head and handle in an oil bath for a period of time to help the wood swell. Anything to it? Or am I remembering wrong?

Thanks for the reply’s. The cheap handle was burnt and covered in shellac, so I removed it and shaped it down to an octagon. Funny thing is the purchase end of the handle was white but punky I think. When I applied BLO it turned very dark like heart wood. But the top by the bit is for sure heart wood, and the grain is almost 90 degrees off. I guess now I feel more comfortable to get a better handle and hang it.
277e5a4432669a92a055c10d39e5f5fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from that photo it looks an excellent fit that you achieved. the grain across the eye isn't so bad, its the run out along the length of the handle that is bad, you really need it to go straight up and down

Good afternoon-
It’s been a while since I posted my new finds. Just acquired a few old splitting mauls. Nothing exciting but they were free. Anyway, I cleaned up my first one and cannot identify the makers mark. Any help would be appreciated.
John

B12D3525-F193-4110-893D-C85DE468D1ED.jpeg5C4FBCDA-71B7-428D-B01D-B9B810566BF3.jpegB12D3525-F193-4110-893D-C85DE468D1ED.jpeg0D47A40D-2695-4100-B036-43F335FB39E6.jpeg

Attachments

• 027D8B15-4723-42CA-BB0D-9AB53A08F80E.jpeg
    027D8B15-4723-42CA-BB0D-9AB53A08F80E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
First auction I've been to in a while. Got out bid on a very nice Plumb single, not so much as a scratch on the poll, and a very nice Keen Cutter double. I did get this True Temper Kelly Perfect for $10, and a box lot with the no name double, brush ax , yellow snatch block, and a very rusty shingle hatchet(not pictured. ) All in all. a good day.
JpZX5Ke.jpg

baHVLEr.jpg

I forgot to say, the same guy that gifted me the big and modern head back in june gifted a teenie hatchet to me. Same story, found it in the wood pile of the house he'f moved to. similar condition, eye and everything fine, edge has some nicks but will clean up, little bit of mushrooming to the poll but not loads. This one was a little rusty but i gave it a rub with my palm and could clearly read the maker's name up at the poll. Elwell :surprised3: That's one of the best British makes. I'll tidy it up and hang it and make it look nice, its one of those dinky hatchets that i find no use at all but it'll look nice. Think i might try cold bluing it perhaps.

The 170 I bought new a few years back.

I think that guy used to play Lacrosse. We used to put a few wraps of white surgical tape on the butts of our sticks, it helped. I don't know about that axe though, the handle is quite short. Shorter than it looks. The palm swell is leather with small nails.

The 170 I bought new a few years back.

I think that guy used to play Lacrosse. We used to put a few wraps of white surgical tape on the butts of our sticks, it helped. I don't know about that axe though, the handle is quite short. Shorter than it looks. The palm swell is leather with small nails.
I used to do the hockey tape on the end of my hockey sticks and sometimes on the top of the lacrosse sticks.
Actually I used to play lots of lacrosse from 10-32 years old. Both field and box lacrosse.
Was on many Ontario National league teams in fact.
The nails wouldn't feel good on any of my lacrosse sticks. I liked the plastic caps that came on the butt ends actually.
Had lots of different shafts for my sticks. Ash shafts for box so you can cross check without bending it and field lacrosse we used aluminum shafts, but I did have a Titanium one too. It was tough and if I remember it cost $100 at that time.
Have all my sticks still and I still coach the younger kids from time to time.
Ah, the good ol days.

I used to do the hockey tape on the end of my hockey sticks and sometimes on the top of the lacrosse sticks.
Actually I used to play lots of lacrosse from 10-32 years old. Both field and box lacrosse.
Was on many Ontario National league teams in fact.
The nails wouldn't feel good on any of my lacrosse sticks. I liked the plastic caps that came on the butt ends actually.
Had lots of different shafts for my sticks. Ash shafts for box so you can cross check without bending it and field lacrosse we used aluminum shafts, but I did have a Titanium one too. It was tough and if I remember it cost $100 at that time.
Have all my sticks still and I still coach the younger kids from time to time.
Ah, the good ol days.
You're either younger than me, or continued to play into the modern era. Being in MD, all of our sticks came from Bacharach Rasin, Hickory handles, gut and leather pockets. The last year I played was the first year for Box Lacrosse. I played for a private school in Southern MD, Charlotte Hall Military Academy. Box Lacrosse teams were trying to recruit players, and our coach told us that if anyone tried playing for one of those teams over summer, he'd have us thrown out of school. Playing for a pro team would void any scholarship offers. MD U and Hopkins had good teams, but the sport wasn't played in many high schools then. We mostly played Junior Collages. One of the last games of the year a guy slashed me across the back of the head, major concussion. Doctors said I couldn't play contact sports anymore. So, over the summer I told my parents I'd like to go back to public school where they had girls. That was the end of my Lacrosse days. Got into hot rods and muscle cars, I can still play with them. Just a year or so ago I sold my last two BR sticks, got $60 each for them.

Any ideas on this head? Picked it up at a local antique/junk shop. Has phantom bevels. I can't make out the markings, and this pic ain't the best.
33C0A5B2-80A5-4695-AD7F-D4676D0FC04A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back