Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made this for the neighbor over the weekend... First time using gun bluing on axe/pick head...I really like the finish. Let's see how long it lasts

Attachments

• 20220726_144634.jpg
    20220726_144634.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220726_144613.jpg
    20220726_144613.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220726_144545.jpg
    20220726_144545.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Got this boys axe done for a friend... He does bushcraft outings with his kids.this is an excellent axe... had to move it down about 3/4 of an inch and fill front of eye. It was pretty beat but handle was awsome. Fixed a couple bad spots on handle...

It has 3 sets of "teeth" on the inside of eye. Anyone ever run across this before?? I have had several with 2 sets... thinking this was very old axe.

Found at a neighbors.
Nice vintage axe head. This was made in W. Germany by C.H. and the C.H. is Carl Helsper, Wuppertal-Küllenhahn which became HelkoThe helko enterprise was started by a member of the Helsper family in 1844 in Cronenberg, now a district of Wuppertal. For many years, it was referred to as the Helsper Werkzeugfabrik, or Helsper Tool Factory. The Helsper Werkzeugfabrik quickly earned a reputation throughout Europe as a manufacturer of high quality woodworking tools, and by the early 20th Century had already begun exporting axes to Africa, Asia, and the Americas."...In the early thirties, a partner named Kotthaus joined the enterprise, and the company became known as helko (helsper / kotthaus). When helko took over the Carl Helsper Werkzeugfabrik in the early sixties, the complete company name in the German Register of Commerce became Carl & Aug. Helsper GmbH & Co., KG, helko–werk. Since then, the company has continued to improve the quality of its products, and helko axes and hatchets are now recognized worldwide as some of the finest woodworking tools available.DSCN3954.JPGDSCN3955.JPGDSCN3956.JPG

Well, it's not an Axe, but it is a Collins. A Collins Legitimus #871. I went by my local auction and it was on the first table. Only problem was the auctioneer put it with another knife, as one lot. I was afraid some young guy would out bid me for the big dagger and just throw the old Collins away. I got lucky and won the bid for both, for $26. I visit Allaboutpocketknives every month. They have a member give away. I'm donating the Jim Frost Dagger to one of the up coming give aways. Here's the Collins.
4OVmP60.jpg

VwAvWp6.jpg

6IO84WV.jpg

7x2J91G.jpg
I've got my Grandfather's "Martindale" machete made in England and it looks very similar in shape to that one. Brought it back from Grenada, West Indies.
It's hanging downstairs somewhere. I'll have to look for it for a pic and post.
Stamp has an Alligator on it was used primarily for cutting sugar cane in the Caribbean. Also used for clearing brush. Plants grow fast in the tropics.

View attachment 1003036View attachment 1003037View attachment 1003038
This is a yard sale find. B3 is the only id. Does anybody have any info o

View attachment 1003036View attachment 1003037View attachment 1003038
This is a yard sale find. B3 is the only id. Does anybody have any info on this?
I thought I had one that looked close to that one. i just found it out in my wood shed. It's a Stanley. After getting it, it looks a bit longer than yours?
tWr05gC.jpg

ZzbOiv5.jpg

Just started this project. A while back I found an axe head in a hollow stump I thought we'd lost. Re-sawed a slab of Queensland Maple (Flindersia spp.) I had in the wood room. Drew a pattern on based on a Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe. Roughed it out on the bandsaw, then cleaned it up on the spindle sander. Now the hard work begins - getting the sucker to fit and be square to the handle. Fingers crossed.
20221003-IMG_9676.jpg
20221002-IMG_9675.jpg

Here’s an old axe head that my daughter found in the dirt at my cabin. There was a logging camp on this site in 1912 and the blacksmith shop burned down (with the blacksmith inside, but that’s another story).

I stripped the rust with a vinegar bath and then seasoned it like I season my cast iron skillets. I will put this on the wall of the cabin but I’m trying to decide if I should sharpen the edges first or not.
B7376695-DB66-4B5B-9B84-AF3A46FA199A.jpeg

Back