Axe Throwing Newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawchick67

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
OK, I just started getting into this axe throwing stuff. Some days I throw Ok, some days not so good. Can anyone give me any good help on things like how I should be holding the axe, how I should be standing, technique, etc. I'd eventually like to compete in this event, but I need a lil advice. . . :cheers:

Ax throwing has so many different styles: one handed, two handed, over the shoulder, over the head. I've even seen folks throw underhand. You need to find a way that works for you. I tried to teach my 12 year old son how to throw with no success at all. When another guy showed him a different style, he did much better.

I assuming that you know the basic rules and have the correct axe. If you need help there, let us know. I could try and describe the most common techniques, but the best thing to do is to take note of how the top throwers throw, and try to duplacate what they do. Also, my technique changes with the axe I use. When I use a heavier axe, I have to keep my feet closer together.

No matter how you throw, there are three elements that are constant. You must throw the same way every throw and you need to follow through on the throw. Most importantly, to me, is that you have to never take you eyes off the bullseye. Walk up to the the line, and just focus and concentrate on the bull. Try to stare a hole through the target with your eyes. Keep you eyes on it all through the throw, you should still be staring at the bull as you follow through.

Take note of you grip, foot placement and the position of the axe before you throw, and when you throw well, try to replicate it.

Try this: When you grip the axe, don't wrap the thumb on your upper hand around the axe, lay it along the back of the handle pointing toward the head. Keep you hands together like your'e holding a baseball bat.

Make a mark on your handle and use it to make sure that your hands are in the same place on the handles on every throw. Move the mark to experiment with hand placements until you find one that works, then mark it with tape or a marker.

It takes time. I practiced for 1/2 hour + per day, 4-5 day per week for months until I was good enough to compete. I've since won a (very) few bucks at some (very) small shows. Not suprisingly, the more I practice, the better I do.

Last edited:
I got the part figured out about lining the thumbs up and down on the handle, Actually when I figured that out i got kinda excited i figured that part out on my own!! I also figured out hen I throw I have to stand more to the right of the target, i cant stand right in front or i will reapeatedly miss.:bang: It seems like sometimes i'll go out and do 3 sets of 3 and i'll kick some butt or i'll go out and not even be able to stick it 3 times. . . ??

have not competed in axe throwing but have spent countless hours practicing throwing knives and axes.

to me... key is to be consistent.

1. same number of paces from target
2. firm not tight grip on axe or knife
3. throw with repeatable force. not so light it barely sticks, but not so hard it's out of control.
4. learn to micro-adjust how axe lands by moving forward or backwards. And by adjusting amount of force to increase or reduce rotation.
5 learn rotation = number of paces
6 tape measure for precise point to stand. if you learn by pace, your individual number of paces to exact point to stand. you will not be dependant on a tape measure.

once you consistently stick your axe. STOP mark your spot, pay attention to your hand hold, amount of force used etc.

then stand in exact same position and duplicate exact same motions.
do this for hours.... and hours .... hours... pretty soon you will be competitive!

Last edited:
Husky 394 said to follow through, and I agree 100%. Also use a smooth fluid motion, don't flip your wrist, or make any other motion that isn't "fluid" with the throw. I've been working with my wife on throwing, and once she got this down she started kicking my butt.

Andy

Well maybe I can get real good at FINALLY be better at something than my boyfriend. . . .ha. . yea right. He's gettin good at throwing, but I practice a lot too. is there any "best" way to stand?? Also, is there and "best " shoe to wear? On a daily basis I wear a logger style boot, but I also Have tennis shoes, didnt know if either one was"better":help: :dizzy:

For what it's worth, here is how I stand. As I bring the axe back, I'll bend my right knee. Sorry the file is so big.

Another thing to do is to stand with the right foot back a little and take a step forward as you throw. You have to find out what works for you.

yup-- thats about how i stand too. Went out and showed my dad last night how good i was doing, till lmy younger brother threw the really heavt practice axe and knocked the whole f:censored:g target stand over, then they thought they were great at putting it back together, wewalked 20 feet down to the mark and it fell again b4 we even got there. . . any way, i think im starting to get more of the hangof it. I'm finally getting to where I can stick it all 3 throws, which is good, and im finally getting to where if i miss, its not by very much, this is also good. Thanks for the advice/help guys. If anyone has anymore input . . . let me know!

Is there a certain weight that a competition throwing axe should be? I have seen 2 1/2 to 3 1/2lb axes used there a regulation weight, i would like to buy one to practice for competition but i don't want to buy on that isn't the correct weight.

Back