Bad chain brake on a brand new Husky 395XP?? Am I missing something here??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OuteRealm

Reaction score
Just opened the box to a brand new Husky 395XP - ready to install a 36" bar/chain on it. The side cover would NOT come off as the brake was stuck on. After a careful 15 minutes
of gentle prying it came off. Now mind you I'm not new to saws by any means but this brake handle was about to break/snap because I did give it some force to move it before
prying that cover off. It is STUCK. So, really wanting to use the saw this weekend coming up, I began taking the brake assembly apart. Almost ate that crazy spring in there too.
Things cycle/work fine without the spring in there but the point is safety, and especially with this beast. Anyways I did get the cover assembly all back together nicely and it still won't move to disengage.

Has anyone seen this from a brand new 395 lately?? I hate to make the dealer visit but I'm not feeling good on getting this to work. It's like the spring has way too much tension here,
maybe the wrong one was installed? It's a Brazil saw but I don't think that's playing a part here. As it stands now - you will break the handle trying to disengage the brake.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Just opened the box to a brand new Husky 395XP - ready to install a 36" bar/chain on it. The side cover would NOT come off as the brake was stuck on. After a careful 15 minutes
of gentle prying it came off. Now mind you I'm not new to saws by any means but this brake handle was about to break/snap because I did give it some force to move it before
prying that cover off. It is STUCK. So, really wanting to use the saw this weekend coming up, I began taking the brake assembly apart. Almost ate that crazy spring in there too.
Things cycle/work fine without the spring in there but the point is safety, and especially with this beast. Anyways I did get the cover assembly all back together nicely and it still won't move to disengage.

Has anyone seen this from a brand new 395 lately?? I hate to make the dealer visit but I'm not feeling good on getting this to work. It's like the spring has way too much tension here,
maybe the wrong one was installed? It's a Brazil saw but I don't think that's playing a part here. As it stands now - you will break the handle trying to disengage the brake.

Thoughts??

Thanks!
The flag won’t bust, just haul back on ’er till it disengages. If it does bust, kick down your dealer’s door and tell him to make it right.

PRETTY good bet the cover will NEVER go back on w/ locked brake; take cover back for repair/swap

PRETTY good bet the cover will NEVER go back on w/ locked brake; take cover back for repair/swap
I took the cover off my first Husky the other day also unfamiliar with needing to make sure the chain brake was off since that’s not something you have to touch with the stihl. I wound up with a similar situation. If you cut out three sides on a spare wrench you can make the tool for resetting it. There are several videos on YouTube

Attachments

• E7FB254D-16B5-4845-8FF7-4853B7257565.jpeg
    E7FB254D-16B5-4845-8FF7-4853B7257565.jpeg
    8.8 KB · Views: 7
Couldn’t find it the other day…
That’s for a different style than the OP’s,
On yours, all that’s needed is to push the upper right hand corner of the clutch cover into the saw and deactivate the brake band with the brake handle on the saw. Just in case it happens again and you don’t have the tool

That’s for a different style than the OP’s,
On yours, all that’s needed is to push the upper right hand corner of the clutch cover into the saw and deactivate the brake band with the brake handle on the saw. Just in case it happens again and you don’t have the tool
I tried that a few times first but it wouldn’t go on far enough to engage decently and was starting to mess up the plastic splines of the brake handle. Won’t happen again because that’s a lesson learned once! Also I’m selling the saw so I don’t think I’ll forget before then… Hopefully 😂

I took the cover off my first Husky the other day also unfamiliar with needing to make sure the chain brake was off since that’s not something you have to touch with the stihl. I wound up with a similar situation. If you cut out three sides on a spare wrench you can make the tool for resetting it. There are several videos on YouTube
I spent considerable time getting an older Stihl straightened out because somebody (not me this time) had set the chain brake and tried to take it apart.

This is an old thread, but I have the exact same problem. Brand new 395xp in box and I can't get the chain brake to disengage... I'm afraid to take the cover off and run into a new problem or brake the handle if I pull on it some more.. Not impressed.

Latest posts

Back