Bag o Rope (tree stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzack605

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just got a bag o rope with a big shot and cambium saver I purchased on black Friday from treestuff and figuring out best uses for some odd ball sized rope. Made out pretty good; 120' 1/2" Notch Sasquatch (pink) climbing line I'll likely keep this as climbing line despite now having 3 lines though considering it for a rigging line, 40ft 1/2" Notch Sasquatch climbing line in a yellow/red color way that seems it would make a good tag line for smaller trees and 25' 3/4" Notch Kraken rigging line.

What would the best use for the 25' of rigging line be? I'm thinking maybe a sling.

Any suggestions for the 40ft of climbing line? Tag line? Make some lanyards or split tails?

No eye splices or thimbles, but already looking into splicing. Wouldn't be opposed to having someone else do this, but also interested in learning.

Appreciate the time; for myself one of the hardest parts as a new climber is consolidating all the options of tools and rigging and figuring out what works where.

TreeStuff has a good TreeU splicing series...that is what you could do with the ropes you don't know what to do with: winter activity learn splicing. (I've done a handful...learning more is on my winter agenda!)

Yeah I was looking at that and seemed like a good route to learn without a mentor. Would love to spice them into something usable. Maybe use the longer rope for the learning piece and do multiple.

Sometimes a 40 to 50 ft climb line is nice for short trees. That way you don't have to deal with 100 extra ft of rope tangled up at the bottom of the tree. I have one 25 ft rope I made into a long lanyard. It works good as a second climbing system and for work positioning.

I do a lot of winching.
Dont know the test of the rope but I like to keep shorter pieces of heavy line for that.

I have the same situation with a rope I have. Its a static kernmantle 5/8" 100'

It came in the bag with a few other things

No idea what to do with it. Thinking maybe a speed line.the kit is over $400 online. A buddy gave it to me for hauling his skidsteer.

Screenshot_2019-12-14-01-01-28.png

Sometimes a 40 to 50 ft climb line is nice for short trees. That way you don't have to deal with 100 extra ft of rope tangled up at the bottom of the tree. I have one 25 ft rope I made into a long lanyard. It works good as a second climbing system and for work positioning.
That’s exactly what I ended up making the 25’ of rope for and using it today.

Sometimes a 40 to 50 ft climb line is nice for short trees. That way you don't have to deal with 100 extra ft of rope tangled up at the bottom of the tree.

I second this. I climb a lot of small trees and I love my short lines. Beats dragging 120 foot around multiple times when i change anchor points.

Back