Bandit 150xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affordabletree

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am considering upgrading my chipper to a 12" machine. I am only ever looking to max the capacity out when chipping softwoods. I have become so used to keeping everything 6" and bigger for firewood. So when ever I do a job I will really only be chipping brush. So I wanted a disc chipper due to the chip throwing capabilities. I called bandit and they said that a 150 would be my best bet. But the $40000 investment is not in the books for financing. So I looked online and found a nice 2005 bandit 150 with 110 hours on it and an 86hp cat for $22500. I was just wondering what every ones thoughts were on the 150xp as a 12" machine to just chip brush and the occasional pine log. And if anyone had another suggestion for a chipper. I dont want a drum chipper because that is all I use at davey and they dont chip all that consistently.
Please help me out all of you guys with 12" and bigger chippers.

I can tell you that Cat engine is a Perkins engine re-badged as a Cat(Perkapillar). It is a good engine. You can save money on parts by sourcing them from Perkins dealers.

I don't know what your budget is but you most likely coukd find a older machine for less. I bought a 85 morbark 200 for $5200 and its been a great machine. Mine has the john deere diesel. I did some modifications to it, like enlarging the infeed table, adding a hydraulic down pressure cylinder and a hand crank discharge chute. Its more finicky then a new 15" machine but its mine and has no monthly I payment.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

What brand of drums are you using now. I was in the same boat as you last year at this time, but when Sandy hit, I did spend the money on a new chipper. I wanted a 150, but upon more research got the 990. This drum chipper shoots chips really far, the only time the chips aren't consistent is when I am chunking up a trunk and putting the wood in sideways. I was able to pick it up for just under what your quote was on the 150, I have found it worth every penny. Just my .02, if there was a nice 150 in my area used, For half the price, I would have looked into that too; with a bigger chipper, it's really nice having the winch and lift cylinder.

I found a neglected Bandit 150 a couple years ago for super cheap and rebuilt the motor. It's got the 80hp GMC industrial gas engine and it ROCKS! I've got less than $5K in it. Shop around. It's a great machine for brush. You will be surprised what it will do.

Well thanks for all the replies I went with a used 200xp from an equipment dealer in elwell mi and it does have 2500 hours on the CAT diesel but the chipper does run flawlessly and I ended up spending $12500 for an 2003 model and I got a set of of blades and an extra anvil with a full set of filters for it and a full tank of diesel. So now I just need to play with it more than the little bit of wood that I chipped when I looked at it.

Back