Bandit 15xp with psi 5.7 gas engine opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking at purchasing a new chipper and ran across a bandit 15 XP with a PSI 5.7 l 165 horsepower gas engine. I know nothing about these engines other than the fact that the block ( only the block) is a GM. Anybody know if these are any good?

5.7 is the time tested 350. It was in production for around 30 years in automotive applications, and several more years in marine and other uses. Not only is a very good engine, but relatively cheap to work on and parts are easily sourced.

Diesels are generally about a 30% price mark up. The thing that is more concerning to me is all the emissions crap like DPF they put on diesels now days. If it wasn't for that I would get a diesel hands down. The 15 XP is more than enough chipper I am just worried about running a gas engine in it.

5.7 is the time tested 350. It was in production for around 30 years in automotive applications, and several more years in marine and other uses. Not only is a very good engine, but relatively cheap to work on and parts are easily sourced.
Thank you, yes the 5.7 is a great engine but in this case it is only the block that is GM. I know nothing about the PSI ( power solutions industry) engine so that's what concerns me. The chipper is at a decent price, much cheaper than brand new so if it wasn't for that I would just get a brand new chipper.

Hey Jay, it’s been a while since posting this but figure if you still want direct input, we use PSI as a supplier for a small number of engines and I work in the aftersales part of the business. While I don’t handle them as a supplier, I’d pass based off my coworkers that do. We’ve had significant troubles with obtaining parts that are PSI proprietary, for both gas and propane engines. We don’t use the 5.7 but that’s my input based on what we see. I have former coworkers that used to work there too and they have moved on as well.

Thank you for your reply, although research was very limited as far as psi engines I decided to pass on the chipper with the PSI and bought one with the Ford 6.2. I only have about 25 hours on the engine but it seems to work pretty well, it's a beast!! Was very concerned about going to a gas engine from a diesel but I can honestly say that I am very happy with my purchase. Diesel definitely has more torque but with all the emissions crap they put on them now I am happy with my choice.

Hey you guys! I actually have a 2020 Bandit 15xp with PSI 5.7l. Today while chipping it started making some craziness noises, I was on my mini skid steer and hurried over to shut off the chipper. It started back up but barely.... Then nothing after that. After work today I did the spark plugs, checked the fuel coming from the fuel rail, checked for spark on the plugs, checked the fuel for water... Thr chipper would turn the serpentine belt and act like it wanted to start but wouldn't fire up. Took off the air filter and tried carb clean. No codes on the screen. Any ideas what it could be?

Late last night I finally figured it out.... It was the timing sensor! The chipper was low on oil, I was worried it was the motor. The machine ran fine today, it got extra grease 😂

Back