Bandit 60 chipper/box combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats the size weight difference between the 150 and the 90? my workhorse is my f250. the steals seem harder to find than I thought and im looking 12 hours away on some which sounds crazy but the idea of a good deal and a mini road trip/vaca kind of appeals to me at this point. I think the price/distance got me on that 65 until I realized how much id be putting into it and im right back up there.

Last edited:
Kinda been following the thread. It all depends on "your" needs. When Dad retired and I let the business go, we sold all of our F600 dumps and Asplundh 16" chippers. I kept all the gear I needed to do side work. I was still licensed and insured. I also had an F250 4X4 as my main truck, and I thought about buying one of those chipper/dump trailer combo's because it was perfect for my needs at the time. When Dad was still in business we didn't want a real big chipper because we wholesaled out most of our wood to a local vegetable stand. He was on the way home and we got $50 bucks for an F600 load. That was in the 80's and I think $50 covered the fuel for a crew for a week. Our goal was to make as few trips back to our wood lot per day as possible. When you chip brush it makes the brush more compact, so fewer trips to the shop. When you start chipping wood it takes a very compact load and makes it much, much more bulky, so more trips to the shop. Now, another local company was based on a big farm and had a top soil business also. He got the biggest towable chippers made and chipped virtually everything. Took it back to the farm and let it rot, then mixed it in with the top soil, for organic matter. My uncles business was a lot like ours and he tried a couple of the real big chippers and found they beat his trucks up so bad he went back to smaller units, smaller was 10 to 12 inch units.

I rented a Dosco and a Vermeer 6" once each, worthless, I could stack brush faster. Then I found a rental place that had 2 Morbarks that had 10 inch feeds, with a 25 horse, air cooled diesel. Those things were fantastic. They would fold side branches in and towed behind a pick up easy. After about 20 years he got rid of them and went to Vermeer BC1000's. They were a bit heavier on a pick up but did well. So, you need to work out what's the best plan for your needs, Joe.

chipper

I think I found one I might go pick up later today. seems to be in pretty good condition and serviced, greased etc. its a 90's model 65 w/ a Wisconsin motor. it has a last chance cable so it makes me think it may be a late 90's model as the current owner doesn't know what year it is exactly. the only issues are that the hour meter stopped working at about 1800hrs and the auto feed does not work. would these be fairly easy fixes I could do? I am pretty mechanical and good at figuring out fixes but im not experienced at it. although I have replaced an engine once and a transmission, these being my biggest fixes but I wouldn't be able to explain how I did it or what everything was called. for 3700 im interested tho if its only a few hundred $ in fixes if I can find parts or even someone to do it.

3700$ seems way high for one needing that much work. I bought one off flea bay for 2450$ but got screwed by the seller & never got the machine. Flea bay's epp ins (another scam) repaid me 2000$. Anyway, check out iron planet & the other auction sites. I've seen them go for under 2500$, but wasn't positioned properly in the auction to get it. Be patient & call the factory for info on parts & literature before shelling out lotsa $ for something needing repairs. I called bandit about an older one & the rep @ factory was reAL helpful & said they had records going waaay back in time & replacement parts were readily available. Good Luck!

I found a 97 90xp- unknown hours, 4 cyl gm motor. guy says he bought it from a small city and it looks to be gently used. he replaced the fuel pump when he got it. the pictures look like its in good condition and clean. my only concern is that the engine cover sits slightly higher on the motor and he said its because it has a larger radiator put on it. hes asking 6k obo. I cant find much info on the gm motor except that they don't make it anymore. I called bandit and they said they can still get parts for it. anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

Another I found is a 93 90, reconditioned by bandit in 2002 with a new deutz diesel. Has height adjustable discharge chute, new shaft and bearings this year along with all fluids belts filters. All service done thru bandit and their company mechanic. Sounds like a nice machine but their dealer recommended they list it for 8700.

I keep most wood over 4" for firewood. Myself and another family member heat exclusively with wood so its a good commodity for us. That being said, I watch what my 12" chipper can gobble up and am very grateful that it does so. I'd say I save hours per tree with a 3 man crew versus cutting the branches into smaller pieces for a smaller chipper. I have an old Badger TM400 and it really doesn't seem out of place on a one ton, I have used my F350 to tow it around but chip into a C70 Dump truck. A Bandit 150 is less than 6,000 pounds.

Last edited:
chipper

3700$ seems way high for one needing that much work. I bought one off flea bay for 2450$ but got screwed by the seller & never got the machine. Flea bay's epp ins (another scam) repaid me 2000$. Anyway, check out iron planet & the other auction sites. I've seen them go for under 2500$, but wasn't positioned properly in the auction to get it. Be patient & call the factory for info on parts & literature before shelling out lotsa $ for something needing repairs. I called bandit about an older one & the rep @ factory was reAL helpful & said they had records going waaay back in time & replacement parts were readily available. Good Luck!

I'm in a similar situation to the OP-I have a tipping trailer and a small chipper (4in) , the chipper (if I can really call it a chipper) is a Greenmech CS 100. One thing that has me a bit uncertain is that at the moment I do very nicely in the small job market: good conversion rate, good margin & being small jobs all the risks are small too. I'm assuming that when I step up to a 12inch machine I will be leaving the small job market behind..... some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back