Bandit 90XP not cranking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2012 Bandit 90XP that is having some starting issues...

About 2-3 weeks ago it started to have this issue where it would not crank on the 1st turn of the key... You get a "click" when turning the key but but by the 5th or 6th time trying, it would finally crank and start. I figured maybe just cause its so cold out the cold is messing with something and I was OK with that... As long as it starts. Once it is running, it runs totally fine with no issues.

Fast forward to yesterday morning.. I had to do some maintenance so went outside to start the chipper up and again, on the 4th or 5th try it started up. I let it warm up so I can just get things moving and warm up engine oil / hydro oil.

I shut it down and went to do my maintenance and then after I was done I tried to start it up but it will not start now. I can heat the glow plugs and everything looks fine on the panel until you go to turn the key to actually start the engine.. It just gives one click like it would previously but now doesn't crank at all no matter how many times I try to turn the key.

After that, I got out the voltmeter just to make sure I was getting power to the starter and I am. After this, I arced the starter posts to get it to run and it did... the motor ran in the starter but it seems liked it wasn't engaging the flywheel.

So I went out and bought a new starter, put it in and I am still having the same issue.

I am stumped. Am I missing something? Thanks

Yhe ignition switch itself might be going bad, if you can jump the seleniod on the starter and it cranks it might not be getting full voltage from the switch?
I tried jumping the solenoid on the starter and the motor spins but it doesn't seem to be engaging the flywheel... This happened on the old starter and the new one as well.

Check leads/relay/switch powering the solenoid (ideally check voltage drop at solenoid). Check earthing too. If there is resistance somewhere limiting current solenoid may contact but not generate enough magnetic field to throw the gear out

Hi guys,

So after much prayer and deliberation the issue was the stand alone solenoid mounted to the engine case.

After replacing the starter I tested it and found out it was doing the same thing as the old one when that was tested as well.

There are three poles on the starter solenoid. I jumped the + positive pole to the other large pole (Neutral I think) and found that only the starter motor spun but the bendix did not protrude out of the housing. I then took my + battery cable and instead of going to the + pole on the starter solenoid I put it on the smaller pole and realized the bendix protruded but had no motor spin. So I realized both poles need power on that starter solenoid for it to work correctly.

noticed the wires were tied in to another solenoid that was mounted on the rear of the engine case so I replaced that solenoid and all is working now.

So looking back it actually wasn’t the starter but that other solenoid. Thanks for all the help! Maybe this helps someone down the road.

Back