Bandit 990xp lift pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman0490

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 2012 bandit 990 with the 85hp cat.
About 1050 hrs now. Everything is good on this chipper all the time but the lift pump.
My lift pump on the fuel filter went bad at 425hr, 850 hr, and acted yesterday like it went out at 1050hr.
When you try to get a new lift pump from the cat dealer, they only sell the whole assembly which includes fuel filter separator, manifold and the lift pump, something like $450.

I just need the lift pump, not the whole assembly. Tried searching on line and most things come right back to cat.
Amazon lists 2 pumps that look identicle to what I need, but the numbers don’t match.
Anyone have any insight on this part.

Number on my lift pump is 232-5877

The amazon search, with that number typed in, comes up with these pumps with 228-9129. Perhaps they updated the part?

Is there anyway to make these pumps last longer? Or are they just cheap Chinese pumps that don’t last?

Thanks for your help

Doesn't appear to be the lift pump. I just checked it again and it is pumping when I push in the Murphy switch.
I changed out the fuel filter, drained about a gallon of diesel out of it. Then gave the tank a few ounces of anti gel and water dispersant just in case that was the problem and filled with new diesel. Ordered new pre filter and air filter from amazon just now too.
The symptoms acted just like the lift pump gone bad in the past. When describing the symptoms, it seems like water in the fuel.
I put 5 hours on the chipper Wednesday with no problems at all. Sits thirsday. Friday (coldest day I have ever chipped) it runs fine for like 15 mins, then starts losing power and blowing blue smoke.

Let me know if someone out there has anything else to do.
I won't be able to run it again and test the new fuel filter and fuel till Wednesday

NAPA stocks a diesel universal pump, rotary, that I have used in the past on several machines. Much cheaper, more reliable than OEM. But after reading your last post, where it was smoking blue, not so sure this is the problem. Are you getting any blow-by out of the engine with the blue smoke? For grins, check air filter but if it was restricted you'd be seeing more of a black smoke. Take a good look at all fuel lines and fittings on the suction side of fuel system. Any cracks, loose hose clamps would result in air being pulled in.

Back