Bar adapter drive link differences

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puddlewatcher

Reaction score
A newbie here looking for some help. I'm hoping to use an adapter to fit a d025 bar to my Echo cs-590. Is there an easy way to find out what my chain length will be? From my research it looks like a longer chain is needed than the new bar calls for. For example according to Oregon this bar(363RNDD025) calls for 114 drive links, will I be able to get away with a 115 link chain? Any help is appreciated and please yell at me for not following forum rules or posting in the wrong spot!

[emoji2959]Probably not, that is a lot of room because 1 link is actually a butterfly (3 straps) to be able to re-link the chain to shorten it. Remember the chain will also stretch and you'll run out of adjustment. I usually call Frawley's saw shop (563)544-4498 if I have questions because I'm not a professional. If you go to Oregon's website it has several videos of the process.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

For reference.
f406ef33337c339cb5ea9201b1272f7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

For reference.
The chart illustrates nicely the rule of thumb I learned here long ago - multiply the bar length (in inches) by 3 and you should get a number reasonably close to the saw displacement in CCs. By that rule, a 20" bar is a perfect fit for a 60cc saw, 16" to 24" is usable, smaller than 16" is wasting gas and you're toting unneeded extra saw weight, longer than 24" is not going to be well oiled, will waste too much power on friction and spinning extra chain weight, and will be annoyingly nose heavy.

A 115dl chain will not work on that saw. Not worth a damn, anyway. I wouldn't want anything over 72dl on it personally, 91-93 in a pinch if necessary.

Back