Bar and Chain Consolidation Thoughts - Need Your Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1legwoodchopper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
Been a while since I've posted. Guess the saws have been running good. Here's what I need help with. Uncle gave me his 034AV with a .063 x 375 - 16" bar/chain combo. I already own a 028AV (.063 x .325 - 18"), Dolmar 5100 (.050 x .325 - 18"), & 038 (24") mag built by Thompson from this site. It's been a good mix of saws. So here is the rub. Everyone of them uses some vairation of different pitch & gauge of chain. It's a mess to keep straight, at least in my feeble mind. Most of my chains have been used well so I'm not worried about that investment. I'm not changing the 038mag since it's different and cuts well. It's the 3 smaller saws that I am concerned with. I'm not trying to break the bank but I like higher end stuff with regards to tools.

My projected thoughts on usages.

038 - felling and bucking trunk
034 - bucking, limbing, clearing - travel saw. Dolmar doesn't have support in some of the places I go.
5100 - really a duplicate of the 034 but want the same set up (although though duro chain and used for land clearing)
028 - mostly a back up. May give to my brother in law as he is chainsaw-less and that gives the family a bad name me thinks.

Here's what I'd like your help with.

1. I think I'd like to stay with 18" bars but should I go with 0.50, .058, or .063? I'm thinking .050 but what says you? I'm looking at a Sugihara or Cannon for the 034 (which do you like more?). Maybe a Forester (they ok?) on the 5100?
2. What pitch? I am leaning towards 3/8 after reading various posts but I'd love the feedback.
3. What chain? Maybe set the 034 as full chisel (RSLK) and the 5100 with semi-chisel?? Keep it simple and run RSC on everything? I think I want to try the RSLK for some reason. Thoughts?

One thought I have is to put the 16" on the 028 and endow my brother in law with the saw. Then set up both the 34 and 51oo with 18" bars. I'd have to buy one sprocket either way I think. .325 on the Dolmar and .375 on the 034. So, 7 or 8 tooth?

I cut 3-5 cords a year for firewood. Clear pature and fence rows. Cut mesquite for smokers.

Lots of dribble but I hope everyone gets what I'm going for. I value the collective wisdom here so I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts. Hit me up with questions if I have left off something that would stear the thinking.

1. On the Stihls, I'd run Stihl bars. Laminated ones, probably. No sense adding unnecessary weight or expense. On the Dolmar, run whatever works to keep your DL count the same. The OEM Dolmar 18" is really 17" and 64dl. For gauge, run what you want given your customary source of chain.

2. Those saws can all run 3/8" happily enough.

3. I run Oregon 72 LGX for my 3/8" stuff, save for some leftover loops. I've been pleased with it. I'm not a fan of semi-chisel, honestly. But I only fell, cut, and process standing, clean wood, so your mileage may differ.

Latest posts

Back