Bar chain problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonrkba

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have an ms290 that is one of my go to saws for firewood. It has a new rim sprocket and oil pump. Im having a problem with the chain getting tight while running. I noticed the tip of the bar looks a little worn. Could this cause my problem?

Attachments

• KIMG2118.jpg
    KIMG2118.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 1
If the nose sprocket or roller bearings were failing that could be the cause. More likely your chain is worn to the old rim sprocket & isn't meshing well with the new one. It's generally recommended to replace both rim & chain together (you should get through a few chains per rim). It is also possible you have a poorly cast rim sprocket

If the nose sprocket or roller bearings were failing that could be the cause. More likely your chain is worn to the old rim sprocket & isn't meshing well with the new one. It's generally recommended to replace both rim & chain together (you should get through a few chains per rim). It is also possible you have a poorly cast rim sprocket

This.

I would check the teeth on the bar nose sprocket. As well, make sure the bearings are visibly in place and tight in their pockets.

Old chains on new drive-sprockets will trash the new sprocket, as well as causing other issues.

I replaced the bar and chain last night but wanted some insight before running it. The chain seemed a little dry but the bar had a lot of oil in and on it. I'll run it again in a few days. I cut split and stacked a cord yesterday. I am beat. Im like that toby keith song, " not as good as I once was".

I have an ms290 that is one of my go to saws for firewood. It has a new rim sprocket and oil pump. Im having a problem with the chain getting tight while running. I noticed the tip of the bar looks a little worn. Could this cause my problem?
When you get the chain and bar set and tensioned, rotate the chain by hand with the saw off obviously. Do you notice tension changing going tighter or more loose as the chain runs around? My saw chain tension would change with less than 1/3rd rotation of the chain. It took awhile to narrow down the problem and it wasn’t the typical problems.

Gabriel

That’s good! Mine had uneven splines that were different sized. At first glance no problems. But putting the old one on fixed it. Glad your back in the saddle again;)

CCD9091E-BCDB-4F19-9B58-C697061592B9.jpeg4255168A-EF3D-43FE-B533-F0BC57FC7544.jpeg

Latest posts

Back