Bar choice for my sons echo 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IntegrityCarpentry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I need to get a new bar for my sons 490

The Echo Pro-lite looks to have a smaller radius tip so would that be easier to catch and kick back but be lighter?

https://www.sawsuppliers.com/products/echo-foad-style-guide-bar-325-pitch-050-gauge-for-cs-501p
Oregon Versacut would be heavier, but larger radius tip
https://www.sawsuppliers.com/products/oregon-versacut™-guide-bar-0vxlgk216-325-pitch-050-gauge

I understand all bars and chains can be dangerous and there are always risks. My son has mainly ran my battery Milwaukee saw. He has made some cuts closely supervised with my 272. He was shortly after that given the 490 to be the caretaker of for the family. He immediately took much more interest in caring for the saws. He was pretty good before. What would you recommend I get bar wise for him.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Attachments

• 82ACCF72-8EFE-4E62-BE21-1390903C825B.jpeg
    82ACCF72-8EFE-4E62-BE21-1390903C825B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • A9FD85A9-A8CC-40F3-939C-015920AE5CCC.jpeg
    A9FD85A9-A8CC-40F3-939C-015920AE5CCC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 031895BA-DF41-482A-A535-A49F7728D8AC.jpeg
    031895BA-DF41-482A-A535-A49F7728D8AC.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 1
Echo tends to use unique numbers of drive links. If you have spare chains this could be an issue with a non-Echo bar.

Looks like a different technique with the Granberg. Not sure I understand. Is he pulling it to him?

Are you just eye-balling the tip radius difference?

+1 on PPE for the kid. Chaps, eye, ear, boots.

Roy
Chaps are a great suggestion and reminder for me. I didn’t get some until last year. I am eyeballing plus counting exposed sprocket teeth and descriptions from manufacturer.
Oregon says 12 points and large radius on Sawsuppliers and echo pro lite says small radius. So I was looking for advice from others. I have not used enough bars to know quality and characteristic differences.

If one bar would have more durable rails that would be something to consider. This stock black used one we were given is more chewed up than anything I ever saw. Bar oil port probably got clogged and chains dull at times if I could guess. At least bar wear is even lol.

Echo tends to use unique numbers of drive links. If you have spare chains this could be an issue with a non-Echo bar.

Looks like a different technique with the Granberg. Not sure I understand. Is he pulling it to him?
Yes, we have no non echo count .325 chains. Thanks for saying something. So many times we assume someone knows.

So for me, it’s easier to get more in front of the bar tip and pull the file with one hand and guide with the other. I have tried being over the saw or bar and pushing and my less dominant hand struggles even more. Silas seems to pick up my method, but this conversation is giving me pause to show him other methods and let him choose what works. I used to keep the bar parallel with the bench and started rotating vise and being able to have clear access to chain inmo. Hope that makes sense. It’s not something I ever saw anyone else do so it’s just progressing.

Gabriel

Oregon says 12 points and large radius on Sawsuppliers and echo pro lite says small radius. So I was looking for advice from others. I have not used enough bars to know quality and characteristic differences.

If one bar would have more durable rails that would be something to consider.
Well, Echo says...large radius:

https://www.echo-usa.com/chainsaw-accessories/f0ld-style-chainsaw-guide-bar#specs
As far as durability...I think he'll be fine with either the Echo or Oregon mid-priced bars. I put the super-cheap Oregon bars on saws I intend to sell...they seem fine, but I have never run one for very long before selling the saw.

I understand worry about safety and your son...I doubt tip radius will matter much, but there is no cost to being sure you end up with a larger radius bar. I imagine you plan on safety chain...

Roy

I always assumed hand cuts happen as a result of major kick-back events when the saw goes...willy-nilly...totally out of control.

I know a guy who basically cut his nose RTF-off. (Bow bar incident.) Easy to think, he might have ended up with hand cuts, too.

Roy

I have several echos and I run Oregon bars and Oregon chain. One link off if I remember. The echo brand is made by Oregon I believe. I found the more standard size chain is easier to find and cheaper. And, it's the same size as the Husky 450 I run too. I use a 16" bar on both my echo 352 (different chain ) and echo 4400 and husky 450. The shorter bar does the job, and is manageable. I would recommend a shorter bar over a longer bar. Weight, sharpening, overall length, cost, controlling kickback, keeping in the limits of the saw, other stuff I forgot too.
If someone hasn't said it, hearing protection. I prefer earplugs, my dad likes muffs. Whatever he will use when no one is watching.
Best to get started on the Chainsaw Addiction right away. Seriously. An Echo 310 or whatever the new version small guy is a great way to learn, and easier to handle. And lighter, and the right tool for the job in lots of places you don't need the bigger saw.

and gloves! I like gloves, use what you like. But protect yourself where you can.

Latest posts

Back