Bar choice for my sons echo 490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several echos and I run Oregon bars and Oregon chain. One link off if I remember. The echo brand is made by Oregon I believe. I found the more standard size chain is easier to find and cheaper. And, it's the same size as the Husky 450 I run too. I use a 16" bar on both my echo 352 (different chain ) and echo 4400 and husky 450. The shorter bar does the job, and is manageable. I would recommend a shorter bar over a longer bar. Weight, sharpening, overall length, cost, controlling kickback, keeping in the limits of the saw, other stuff I forgot too.
If someone hasn't said it, hearing protection. I prefer earplugs, my dad likes muffs. Whatever he will use when no one is watching.
Best to get started on the Chainsaw Addiction right away. Seriously. An Echo 310 or whatever the new version small guy is a great way to learn, and easier to handle. And lighter, and the right tool for the job in lots of places you don't need the bigger saw.

and gloves! I like gloves, use what you like. But protect yourself where you can.
So you found oregon bars In standard link configurations that use same echo bar mounts so you don’t have to mess around with odd link chains? I have a cs620 and cs490 in echo. A couple other non echo saws also.

I absolutely love a mesh face screen for chainsawing. I will never go back to buffeting my face with grit while using only safety glasses and muffs.

Hope the short chaps work well...looks like a good fit.
Nice young "chap" there. Ha

Nate
Yes, those helmets are helpful. Sometimes I get tired of the bulk and don’t wear it. Then I get hit in the face with chips taking down a stump…lol.

Our children are a blessing!thanks

Latest posts

Back