Bar n chain oil now $22/gal at Ace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're closer to NH than CT, there are a couple Runnings in SW NH so you can avoid the sales tax. I'm never that far south, so I haven't been in though.
I am not at all familiar with New Hampshire laws. How is it you can avoid the sales tax? Here we are farm tax exempt but lubricants do not qualify.

I am not at all familiar with New Hampshire laws. How is it you can avoid the sales tax? Here we are farm tax exempt but lubricants do not qualify.

NH has no sales tax or income tax. The king gets his cut in other ways.

It does have an oil tax which is $0.02 per gallon for automotive oil, so it really depends how a store categorizes B&C oil.

NH has no sales tax or income tax. The king gets his cut in other ways.

It does have an oil tax which is $0.02 per gallon for automotive oil, so it really depends how a store categorizes B&C oil.
Thank you for that information. From your post I somewhat thought that might be true but I am glad to hear it from someone there that knows. I do not want to derail the thread but I do have to ask without sales tax or income tax how does your state generate revenue. I surely hope it is not all through real estate property taxes or personal property taxes.

Thank you for that information. From your post I somewhat thought that might be true but I am glad to hear it from someone there that knows. I do not want to derail the thread but I do have to ask without sales tax or income tax how does your state generate revenue. I surely hope it is not all through real estate property taxes or personal property taxes.

Property tax, excise tax from vehicles, and a restaurant tax is what primarily affects us mortals. The state also owns the liquor industry here and pulls in a ton of cash with its lower prices--lots of out of state business.

Property tax is highly variable from town to town and has many loopholes particularly for owners of over 10 acres. We have a program called "Current Use" where larger parcel owners are incentivized for keeping it green. I paid <$40 last year for almost 40 acres. I'm having a house built on it now, so I have to take aprox 2 acres out of CU for the homesite. I'll pay a slight penalty(10% value) for the tax status change, then normal property tax on that portion and the improvements, but still have about 38 acres of usable land getting the discount.

Cam2 is very thick and you can't use it in winter without thinning. I don't cut alot in winter and use Stihl's winter bar oil when I do.
Didn’t realize you were a fellow Iowan. We live closer to hwy 30 and 71. Are their any regional get togethers?

The local farm stores here are 8.99 a gallon for their brands. Harvest King at Rural King and Tsc’s brand. I have used them both a lot but have not bought any since the price went up from 2 for $10 and 5.99. The price is just getting crazy and I’m still sitting on 12 gallons.

Property tax, excise tax from vehicles, and a restaurant tax is what primarily affects us mortals. The state also owns the liquor industry here and pulls in a ton of cash with its lower prices--lots of out of state business.

Property tax is highly variable from town to town and has many loopholes particularly for owners of over 10 acres. We have a program called "Current Use" where larger parcel owners are incentivized for keeping it green. I paid <$40 last year for almost 40 acres. I'm having a house built on it now, so I have to take aprox 2 acres out of CU for the homesite. I'll pay a slight penalty(10% value) for the tax status change, then normal property tax on that portion and the improvements, but still have about 38 acres of usable land getting the discount.
In Illinois you will add zeroes to that $40,,several

Didn’t realize you were a fellow Iowan. We live closer to hwy 30 and 71. Are their any regional get togethers?
There are a ton of very fine folks around you and been many GTG's close to you for years. I went to may of the early ones. The closest was around Indianola if I remember right.

There are a ton of very fine folks around you and been many GTG's close to you for years. I went to may of the early ones. The closest was around Indianola if I remember right.
I think that would be valuable to go to. What are they like? Any coming up that you know of? Btw I think I am holding off on any saw purchases. I had a client stiff me for quite a bit.

The local farm stores here are 8.99 a gallon for their brands. Harvest King at Rural King and Tsc’s brand. I have used them both a lot but have not bought any since the price went up from 2 for $10 and 5.99. The price is just getting crazy and I’m still sitting on 12 gallons.

Tractor Supply has gone up to 16.99 for their County Line bar oil here, and it is 15.99 on sale.

Used canola/vegetable oil in my saw for the last 20 cords and it worked great. Doesn't seem to gum up in the cold and wasn't too thin in the summer. Bought it on mega-clearance.

Usually that is what I do, I have learned my lesson in the past about driving to stores to make bulk purchases without checking ahead. The closest rural king to me shows no bar oil in stock, but one that is a little further away is well stocked.

Does anyone know how thick the Cam2 is? I like a heavy, thick oil, even in the winter, as it doesn't get cold enough here to need winter weight oils.
So, after today I have a mildly different view on cam2. A bottle was purchased on closeout by someone, and it did not seem as thick. Not sure if it’s a bit warmer or changing formulas. Since with tax it’s 6.83 per gallon (1.25 gallon jugs), I encouraged him to buy the rest on the shelf and the thicker ones he could wait till warmer weather to use. Maybe when I purchased it it was the summer “all season” and now it’s winter “all season”.

The Harvest King bar oil seems like decent winter oil. Though I personally have a bunch of Canola;) besides the cam2 “glop” ,( I got months ago that is super thick)I won’t be using for multiple months.

Used canola/vegetable oil in my saw for the last 20 cords and it worked great. Doesn't seem to gum up in the cold and wasn't too thin in the summer. Bought it on mega-clearance.
How cold have you used it? For me It seems to congeal somewhere between 10 f and -5f depending on brand and how they formulated it. I will be retesting with a third brand when it gets cold. Also this is just setting in a jug. In a warm saw, with bottles kept warmer it would probably be fine in cold but haven’t gotten that far yet.

How cold have you used it? For me It seems to congeal somewhere between 10 f and -5f depending on brand and how they formulated it. I will be retesting with a third brand when it gets cold. Also this is just setting in a jug. In a warm saw, with bottles kept warmer it would probably be fine in cold but haven’t gotten that far yet.
Heck -5F Spring is here.... :laugh: you are enjoying this mud are you not?????

Latest posts

Back