Bar n chain oil now $22/gal at Ace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How cold have you used it? For me It seems to congeal somewhere between 10 f and -5f depending on brand and how they formulated it. I will be retesting with a third brand when it gets cold. Also this is just setting in a jug. In a warm saw, with bottles kept warmer it would probably be fine in cold but haven’t gotten that far yet.
Used this jug to about 10F and it ran well, even a little thin. No gumming. Honestly, I kind of prefer that it's lighter than a lot of bar oils and it still lubricates well. I likely go through it a quicker than bar oil but it's cheap and I can use the sawdust in the garden.

Heck -5F Spring is here.... :laugh: you are enjoying this mud are you not?????
It’s nice to be removing layers. Mud not so nice. But I am glad the snow keeps getting absorbed each melt vs just one huge thaw like several years ago. It’s spring mud that has me run all terrain tires on my truck and family 15 passenger van. Just for a mile and a quarter of dirt road plus the driveway…. When it’s bad the tires look like mud….

I was at Menards this evening getting materials and seen that they are now selling Super3 bar oil for 9.99 a gallon. Thought about buying a couple gallons just to try out but just don’t need it right now. I have been well pleased with there premixed 40:1 I have used.

I stopped by my local Stihl dealer yesterday, their orange jug Stihl oil has jumped from 12.99 to 16.99 since the last time I bought it around a month ago. Maybe the oil I have been buying was from stock they have had on hand, I'm not sure, but my run with cheap stihl oil is over, at least for now. They have another brand, Kinetix, for 9.99 a jug, so I picked a jug up to try. Has anyone else tried it?

Picked up a case (4) of RVP at Carson's today as an old friend is a semi retired logger thinks it's great stuff. Used to use Durex for years but not at $18 per gallon now at Bi-Mart. Time will tell. There is another oil PES All Season that another friend uses and gets it from Western Equipment for $12.12 per gallon today. I'm going to try a gallon of that and see how it works.

I noticed that my local Habor Freight has STP B&C oil at $5.49/quart (basically $22/gallon) whereas my local Stihl dealer has Stihl Woodcutter for $14 something per gallon. I've still got 6 gallons of that Stihl oil left. It was about $9/gal when I bought it last February... Should have bought more!

I’ve been tossing around the idea of “home brewing” my own bar oil. It’s essentially 30 weight non detergent oil with an additive to make it cling. It would just be a matter of finding a source and mixing the two at the proper ratio. Of course some things are easier said than done however. If one could save five or more dollars per gallon it may be worth it?
If you ever find a tackifier readily available I'd love to know. On the rare off chance I run out I mix Lucas 50/50 with whatever oil I have on hand. Usually keep 5 gallons of 40wt for the older tractors around.
Are they offering shipping again? I got 14 gallons of mystic from them 2 years ago with free shipping, since then I haven't seen them offer shipping on any oils.

How this is that? Would you call it summer, winter or a true all season. The cam2 all season is like summer only… that’s an amazing awesome deal
It's a little thinner then some oils, haven't noticed any bar wear vs the cheap lowes or tsc stuff. Actually like It better then the pro-sellect lowes stocks.

If you ever find a tackifier readily available I'd love to know.
STP oil treatment

I'm running black max 11 per gallon and canola from WW 8 per. Went to return a modded saw and got a gallon of Echo b+c oil for a tip. All my Echo saws use it and are filled with it now The Ithca is tucked away, last gallon of it. I'll run canola oil mostly milling and use that chip for composting in beds. Bucking with the last of the WW 30wt and Extreme b+c oil in the orange gallons. Who knows what might come up in the spring. Sometimes they get green gallons of Poulan oil in stock at places for winter oil. It's thin.

I tried stp a while ago. Had a 5 gallon bucket of straight 30wt for an old tractor I don't have anymore. Figures I'd try a few different things. Stp didn't impress me much. Lucas did ok but was up to 75/25 mix till it didn't just pee off the bar and chain. 🤷‍♂️. Ended up costing nearly as much as buying oil at the time. But I was also getting oil about anywhere for $10.00 gal or under.

I just bought 3 gals of Black max from Wally's World for $14 ea.

Was sub $10 a couple months back. I have a few gallons stashed.

I did last week talk to a dude in the automotive section looking at the Super Lube B&C for high 14s and recommended he go to the garden section for Black Max for cheaper.

I looked at the back of my Black Max jugs and noticed it was made by Hart which is one of Wallmart's tool brands.

Around here, I've been seeing "Mystik" bar oil showing up. Found it at Menards last summer for I think $6.99 a gallon. I picked up 3 or 4 gallons, but haven't tried it yet... still using other oil on hand.

Has anyone tried the Mystik? I see a few guys have bought some too...

I'm filing the comments about Lucas or STP Oil Treatment away for future use in case I decide to start going 'cheap' with used oil or whatever alternates.

I had the opportunity to take a two month long automotive repair class back in the early 90s at Fort Bragg. The instructor swore by STP as an assembly lube as it was 'sticky'. Sure enough, that stuff stuck to metal.

Back