Bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all. Can someone tell me what the tolerances on the chain groove on a chainsaw bar is. When is the bar worn out as far as the depth of the groove on a chainsaw bar?
I did a depth check on one of my saws to see what it was but I don't know what it should be. That bar measured 3.20 to 3.30 depending on where I took the measurement.
Thanks

Hi all. Can someone tell me what the tolerances on the chain groove on a chainsaw bar is. When is the bar worn out as far as the depth of the groove on a chainsaw bar?
I did a depth check on one of my saws to see what it was but I don't know what it should be. That bar measured 3.20 to 3.30 depending on where I took the measurement.
Thanks
3.20 to 3.30? Maybe .32 to .33?

Just for the sake of curiosity...I've been cleaning and dressing a lot of old bars this week (70 or so...) and find a lot of variation in the depth of the grooves, not all of which is a result of wear of the rails.

Bars are branded/made by Oregon, Windsor, McCulloch, Homelite, Mall, Sandvik, even a few David Bradley.

Many older, solid bars seem to have a very shallow groove even for bars that had not had a lot of use.

More modern, primarily sprocket nose bar seem to have a much deeper groove, some almost 1/2".

A few show signs of excessive wear of the rails...

20230731_075921.jpg

This one is so worn around the nose that the drivers no longer seat in the groove. There was no hardfacing on the bars with the three holes at the tip.

20230803_104038.jpg

This one was run for a long time without being flipped, rails are worn on the bottom but fine on the top.

20230803_132828.jpg

And some you can see the extreme wear close to the saw where they cut a lot of smaller diameter wood right against the saw.

20230803_104702.jpg

These two started out the same length. One has a lot of wear close to the saw, the other was evidently cut down and the groove reground...I cannot come up with an explanation as to why they would have done that.

20230804_073921.jpg

20230804_073928.jpg

20230804_074003.jpg

You can see that the hardfacing has been repaired on the bar on the bottom, but the entire tip has been ground away and regrooved on the bar on top.

20230804_074011.jpg

Mark

Not really, I was just wondering what the tolerances are.
Groove depth is only one measure. You also have to look at the groove width wear especially if you cut in dirty conditions with a saw that has a stingy oiler. Wear tolerances here are only a couple of thousandths.

Back