• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Bar rail closer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking for silvery bar rail closeing tool if any one has one to sell

don't even bother
they are junk
save your money
put in a vise and use a hammer and a screwdriver, much better job
just test fit a chain over the rails while you are pounding
if it gets too tight, loosen it up with the screwdriver
I make new bars out of junk this way

don't even bother
they are junk
save your money
put in a vise and use a hammer and a screwdriver, much better job
just test fit a chain over the rails while you are pounding
if it gets too tight, loosen it up with the screwdriver
I make new bars out of junk this way
You could almost just use the vise and the chain and squeeze it true

no, you have to pound the bar in the right spots.
I get the bar in the vise with about 1/2 inch above the jaws and make reference marks about every inch with a magic marker.
then I start on each spot with a steel drift which I hit with a ball peen hammer on both sides.
after a few strikes I lay the chain in the rail and see where it's at. give it more hits if its loose, or open it back up with the screwdriver if it's too tight. keep doing this until the chain slides tight but free.
when I have an entire bar done this way the last thing I do is run it on the belt sander. I made a perfectly square guide for for my sander to lay the bar down on while I sand the edge down to true it up.
sounds like a lot of work, but these old 1/2 pitch David Bradley bars and classic roller nose bars aren't replaceable.
I tried one of those bar closers and threw it in the scrap pile after getting my money refunded.
junk.
others might have a better way of doing it, this is just what I came up with that works great.

Back