Bar/Saw/Chain recommendations for Aussie hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, trains asked, so you all shall receive.

Sundry items, 362 with 16" and 462 running a 20".20220813_110355-01.jpeg

We found this dead but otherwise beautiful Jarrah tree (E. Marginata). So we couldn't leave it there and this is the biggest tree I've felled.

VideoCapture_20220813-141818-01.jpeg

This was the result. It's a beautiful wood. This one was maybe 15-20 years old, going by diameter and dead a couple of years. Sadly, almost all the big old trees were felled 100+ years ago. It was sent as far away as Sydney and London. If you don't have permission, taking down living specimens now can land you in trouble and hefty fines. I cannot claim to have dead-eye aim. I clipped the small tree to the left, and took off a limb.

20220813_112229-01.jpeg

We had to make two trips with the tractor.

20220813_120337-01.jpeg

But it was worth it, good amount of wood.

20220814_113809-01.jpeg

Saw and chips for your viewing pleasure.

20220814_113750-01.jpeg

The 362 is absolutely the smallest you'd want to go for this. Thank you for being insistent and keeping me from my 261 fantasies. It was mentioned, but a 500i could have easily been justified if I was cutting here full time. However, the 362/462 combo worked well.

Yeah near Williams I guess. Few years ago now. Haven’t taken my pics lately. Will start to again. MS661 25 inch bar. 3/8 full chisel. Think they call it rs.

Yeah near Williams I guess. Few years ago now. Haven’t taken my pics lately. Will start to again. MS661 25 inch bar. 3/8 full chisel. Think they call it rs.

Hey, I've been there. Yep, just up the road, we were a bit further SW around Dardanup. Great part of the world.

There are some big, dead or damaged trees around the farm. Looks like the 661 would be handy for those. It's always nice taking a few pics as you work, if for nothing else but memory.

Hmm, next we can start working on you setting the hinge correctly and not cutting thru it so you dont squash your saw, or yourself.

Oh yes, there is much more practice to be had. Choice words my have been muttered under my breath. I'm not touching the big ones until I fill up my bag of experience with smaller ones, and preferably before my bag of beginners luck runs out.

check out the bc fallers guide on yt, they cover some pretty good things on the basics of felling, its quite an interesting art with all the physics involved, looks simple, but there is a lot of thought put into what we simply see as " just a face cut, set hinge", and wedge over type thing.

once you understand what each bit does, and how well that may or may not work in different types of timber, you will start to land the sticks right where you want them to go, well sometimes the tree has other ideas, wind, or unseen defects in the timber your cutting make it do something unplanned, do enough of them, and they will happen.
but its worth learning what its all about, and then doing it correctly, rather than squashing a tractor, or yourself.

you do have wedges ?

Thank you trains, I will check out the videos. I've been pulling bits of information from here and there, but any decent publications on the subject would also be great. The books generally mentioned here either a) are out of print or b) don't ship to Oz.
you do have wedges ?

I do. And sod's law meant I left them in the back of the car as the intention was to clean up blowdown. This one was too good to ignore. A lesson here about being prepared. They would have made it easier.

Back