Bar/Saw/Chain recommendations for Aussie hardwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

009Legend

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Ladies and Gents,

As the title may give away, I'm looking for a combo for dealing with Eucalyptus. For those of you familiar with it, it'll mainly be for cleaning up E. Marginata on the farm as well as many smaller Mallees. I'm not experienced with bigger saws, my time has been spent with pole saws running 1/4" PM3 chains, and my 009L turning over 3/8" P on a 30cm (12'') bar.

A few years back, I thought about replacing my 009L with a 241. Then the world got turned on its head, I got busy with other things, and then someone at Stihl had a sense of humour and decided to stop production of the 241. Thus, I'll keep the Legendary Brick that is the 009L and run two saws. Any excuse, right? Naturally, this has lead me to consider the 261, but anyone that has cut up Euc knows that they can fibrous bastards and incredibly dense. And if you've tried to cut up old, dead and dry grey Euc, you might as well be cutting concrete. So how about the 362? Just a tiny bit heavier, for more power. But then you could argue that the 400 is also just a tiny bit heavier, for more power. Now I have choice paralysis!

I'm 179cm and weigh in at 75kg on a good day, so power/weight is the name of the game. I doubt much of the stuff that needs cutting would exceed 50cm (20") diameter, but it'll certainly be old, dry and probably have some termite mud running through it. I don't think I'll be felling much, if at all. Largest trees I've taken down with the 009L have been maybe 6m (20') high with a diameter of 25cm (10") so I'm not going to tackle anything beyond my skill levels. Limbing/bucking for clean up and firewood.

I'm thinking bars in the 35-45cm (14-18") range. Chain wise, I'm not sure what to run.

I'd like to add, I had been looking hard at a 550XP II, but I believe the Hoosqs run a different bar setup to what I'd already have (Stihl and Sugi)? I'm not strictly a one-man-brand, but I've not come across too many Hoosqs in the field, Forestry seems dominated by Stihl in this part of the world. Happy to hear and consider recommendations from, "The Other Orange", Echo/Shin and Makita, but the big Orange brands are certainly easier to find. Right tool for the job. I'll then go and pick some up. Admittedly, I have picked up the 261 and 362 and I did like the 261. Just worried about adequate power in Euc.

Those of you in the US that have cut up Euc, I think you have much more of the types found in our East. However, they have proper hard stuff too and your opinions are also much appreciated on the matter.

Thank you!

You could convert your 362 to .325 pitch, full comp full chisel chain. With a 18” or even a 20” bar it will have great performance in hard woods as it cuts a more narrow kerf than .375 pitch. Honestly though, that saw will handle the .375 with a 20” bar just fine.

I love the stihl 360 sized saw with an 18" 3/8 semi chisel set up.
good balance, good power for weight, can run a 20 if needed.
Ive put lots of firewood into the trailer with that setup.

for perspective, i currently run a ms180 for the small stuff, and tidying up the limbs, then a 261 with .325 semi for larger, then run with the 660 and 25" 3/8 combo when it gets over 20" dia.
When its smaller stuff, 15" dia and smaller, I would run the 360 with the 18" over the 660, but currently there have been large limbs falling, so not much of the smaller stuff.
if your cutting 20" max and more around the 12 to 15", then go the 360, the extra power over the 261 sized saw and more durable 3/8 chain is worth it.

G036sharp.jpg

Well first off, avoid Makita / Dolmar, they stopped producing gas / petrol
saws earlier this year, I had Two new Makita saws and sold them after
doing a preliminary check for parts, and had a nightmare experience,
none to be got, so I got rid of them.

You need power for hard wood, best of with a 70cc saw, there will be less
stress on it, your in a hot place too, so less stress is key to keeping your
saw running.

If your not afraid of owning a saw that needs to be taken to the dealer
to put it on a computer to tell you why it won't start or runs properly,
then buy a Stihl 462 or a Husqvarna 572, I think the Husky would
be the best of those two, unless it develops / has re-starting problems,
as Husqvarna Autotune saws do in warm conditions, though I think this
model is the best of them in this regard.

If you have time to look, an older model second hand saw with no
Autotune or Mtronic to go wrong would be a much better bet.

Husqvarna supply the 585 with a carburettor, so no Autotune to deal with,
it a more powerful saw than the 572 but built on the same chassis as 572.

Good day all,

Thank you for all chiming in, I appreciate the time you took to read and reply.

Trains, that photo - what else would you rather be doing? I'd be lying if I said my eyes didn't turn green with envy seeing that. Hoping to get to the farm in maybe a week! What you've got there looks around the max diameter.

So it seems I'm on the right track from all replies. I didn't realise Makita was out, but then again the only real reference to their pro saws was a recall notice on their website. No wonder they were hard to find. The Auto-Tune and M-Tronic stuff doesn't really worry me. I'm very interested to see how the work, I'd love to try out an injected saw, but the MS500 is just a bit big, I reckon!! :surprised3: Sadly not a whole lot of decent used saws up for grabs at the moment, only a 034AV an Husqvarna 66 piqued my interest. Most listed are 023/250s and 170/180s.

So I'll trundle down to the shops and have a closer look at the 362 and even the 562 XP. .325 or 3/8" with a shorter bar, Rapid Micro if I understand the naming conventions. My one question left, taking what Motherboard said into consideration, where does the MS362 stand compared to the MS400? The 362, 400 and 462 all seem to step on each other's toes.

Oh, and I did forget to mention in my OP: I assume, after looking at the filters on both the new H and S models, dust ingestion isn't too much of a problem on new saws? It gets dusty here. :crazy:

Cheers.

P.S. There is always another thing! Stihl Hexa chain - anyone run it? Curious more than anything.

Never cut any real Gum- grows faster this side of the ditch as we have this novel thing called regular rain.
But, if I was cutting the size of timber Trains has in the form of bicep builders on his trailer and I was in the market for a new saw to do it, I would be seriously looking at a 500i as a one saw plan.
It could handle all that easily enough- but be there for the biguns as well if and when needed.

If you are living anywhere that has the famous Straleah red dust you call paddocks and or roads- I would not stray from semi chisel chain, forget Hexa and anything requiring funny files or sharp corners. Dead Gum this side of the Tasman is bad enough- can only imagine it being 10X harder over there, especially if it has 80 years of red dust impregnation.

After reading your comment Bob, I had to bring up trains' picture on my computer monitor and not my phone - no bigger than what he's got in the back of his trailer. Majority of stuff would be around what is the limb on the ground in the right of the photo. I think, perspective is a hell of a thing. Thanks for the advice on chain type, red dust a-plenty. Were the gums introduced to you Kiwis by us? When I visited there a few years back, I had no idea that so much of our flora and fauna had been introduced there.

Picked up a 572XP today. Bigger saws don't sell as well in the 'burbs and that's all they had. She's a heavy girl.

After reading your comment Bob, I had to bring up trains' picture on my computer monitor and not my phone - no bigger than what he's got in the back of his trailer. Majority of stuff would be around what is the limb on the ground in the right of the photo. I think, perspective is a hell of a thing. Thanks for the advice on chain type, red dust a-plenty. Were the gums introduced to you Kiwis by us? When I visited there a few years back, I had no idea that so much of our flora and fauna had been introduced there.

Picked up a 572XP today. Bigger saws don't sell as well in the 'burbs and that's all they had. She's a heavy girl.

Don't know if you guys gifted us the weeds- or we stole them- like you lot did with Pavlova- but they probably grow 10X as fast over here and some of them are still bloody hard! Especially when dead standing.
No red dust here, but plenty of Gums alongside dirt roads- so grey dust that makes for good semi chisel territory.
Maybe the Gums of various species were sent here to feed the other Aussie import bought over to give we without mammals a fur trade?

yeah, I find myself just reaching for the 660 most of the time, but if your not cutting big stuff, the ms362 will be a very good power / weight combo, and not wear you out like the 462 and up saw will.
Sure they may be cool, but its only more $$$ and more weight.
if the majority of the stuff your going to cut is like the smaller bits on the rhs of the pic, then go with the 362 and 18" bar combo.

All you see in that pic was cut with that saw, and many more trailer loads as well, the poor thing, got it cheap at a clearing sale, gave it some well needed attention and care, and its now enjoying much better treatment and use.
After that photo was taken, I cut up the seat and put it in the trailer :).

hexa chain is something I have not tried, but dont like the idea of having to buy their special files for big $$$, you can get the vallorbe 5.2mm in 12 packs for around 30 on fleace bay, and I am not convinced the hexa chain would last that long, same as full chisel in the hard woods.

Nice choice, you will be very happy with it, not too heavy, but a good strong chassis
and runner.
What length bar did you go for.

Don't know if you guys gifted us the weeds- or we stole them- like you lot did with Pavlova- but they probably grow 10X as fast over here and some of them are still bloody hard! Especially when dead standing.
No red dust here, but plenty of Gums alongside dirt roads- so grey dust that makes for good semi chisel territory.
Maybe the Gums of various species were sent here to feed the other Aussie import bought over to give we without mammals a fur trade?

God only knows. For my first second or so after realisation I thought it hilarious that you guys have the same problems as us, but after that my thoughts were I wouldn't actually wish introduced species upon any ecosystem. I never made it to the South Island, but even still, the North has some lovely countryside even if they're not comparable.

yeah, I find myself just reaching for the 660 most of the time, but if your not cutting big stuff, the ms362 will be a very good power / weight combo, and not wear you out like the 462 and up saw will.
Sure they may be cool, but its only more $$$ and more weight.
if the majority of the stuff your going to cut is like the smaller bits on the rhs of the pic, then go with the 362 and 18" bar combo.

All you see in that pic was cut with that saw, and many more trailer loads as well, the poor thing, got it cheap at a clearing sale, gave it some well needed attention and care, and its now enjoying much better treatment and use.
After that photo was taken, I cut up the seat and put it in the trailer :).

hexa chain is something I have not tried, but dont like the idea of having to buy their special files for big $$$, you can get the vallorbe 5.2mm in 12 packs for around 30 on fleace bay, and I am not convinced the hexa chain would last that long, same as full chisel in the hard woods.

Thank you for chiming in again, trains. I like picking up neglected gear, like my 009L was. I have far too many old lawn mowers (as early as 1950s) and I'm trying not to pick up any more strays.

Now, the goalposts may have shifted, so please bear with me a bit longer! (See below)

Nice choice, you will be very happy with it, not too heavy, but a good strong chassis
and runner.
What length bar did you go for.

Motherboard, my sincere apologies. When I made that post, I wondered if I could be misinterpreted. I should have changed it! I actually meant I literally picked up a 572XP to have a bit of a play around. I'll need to pick up the 550/562 models as well before I part with money, but the local shop doesn't really stock the pro stuff as it is inner-city. So I'll need to head out a little bit to check them out. Stock seems thin on the ground for both brands.

Now, I apologise if I'm testing your patience, gentlemen. I spoke to my partner in crime today and he's just upgraded his cheapie saw to an MS462. He was planning to use that as a one-saw answer to our problems. It was bought for the bigger outliers. He's also built stronger and taller than I. Now he has that, I think even a 261/550XP II could be back in consideration? Trains, did you have any concerns running .325 with yours in Euc? A little bit of the stuff we need to remove is burnt, but otherwise "clean" except for the ubiquitous dust and any termites that might have gotten in. Still recommend the 362 (or 562XP) with 18", 3/8" combo running alongside a 462 with a 20", pulling 3/8" in light of this new info?

Thanks again guys.

Time for you to turn on the History channel- your great big Country was turned from barren desert into a sub Tropical paradise by men shorter than you, probably around the same weight and nuggety wirey tough buggers. The like that tramped over Papua New Guinee in the early 1940's to hand the first defeat to an enemy thought unstoppable.

You are slightly taller than me, probably younger- but I have 5kg on you and I do not find a Stihl 066 heavy for cutting Gums.
Don't rely on a mate forking out the big dollars for a pro saw so you can rest back on a consumer model- you might have a blue one day and be left on your own with a sub par saw.
60-70cc pro saw minimum- 3/8"minimum - .404 even better for Gums in general, semi chisel chain, well practiced filing and sharp quality chains.
If you are only ever going to cut windfalls and snapouts of 12"and less- the wee saws and .325 will do it- the type of stuff on Trains trailer = 3/8" 70cc minimum territory for my opinion, 066 and .404 even better.

I would go for the MS400, it is light, and has power to deal
with the odd larger tree, and will save you time standing in the sun,
it will munch through the hard woods a lot better, and you will be
using a 3/8 chain which will hold up better, you can also swap
bars and chains with your other half if that is required.

I held the MS400, and it felt light, 12.8 lbs, the 362 is 12.3 lbs,
for the hard wood, take the bigger cc 's, your saw will survive longer.

If you are worried about the weight, then do not let anyone talk
you into a bigger saw than you are comfortable with, having
the physical strength to handle a larger saw is very important
for your safety, saws get heavy as the day goes on, and being
tired will lead to all sorts of slip ups and accidents, an even death.

60-70cc pro saw minimum- 3/8"minimum - .404 even better for Gums in general, semi chisel chain, well practiced filing and sharp quality chains.

I'll keep this in the front of my mind, the verdict seems unanimous for what needs to be tackled. And Old Mate with the 462 is family...so I bloody hope he sticks around!! (Not like family ever fought, right?) I won't be skimping with the saw, bar, or chains, I can promise you that.

saws get heavy as the day goes on, and being
tired will lead to all sorts of slip ups and accidents, an even death.

I have seen some unbelievably close calls with saws amongst workers and family members. Fatigue is an insidious *****, and while I'm aware that my tiny pole saws and 009L will quite happily take my arm off, I'm confident in my handling of them. Not so much the big kW stuff due to lack of experience. I'm sure that will go away, but you could never accuse me of being blasé. And Dunning-Kruger will not get me, either.

If all goes well tomorrow, I hope to sample the 562XP as well as the MS362 and MS400. Stay tuned.

Well, for those of you still following, I never made it to looking at the 562XP. A chance discussion with another member of family ended up with me buying their couple of month old and lightly used MS362. I've got a 20" and 16" bar, a few loops of 3/8" chain, all original tools and documentation. The money I saved went into buying some decent cut protection trousers and gloves.

The thing rips. I don't think I'll be disappointed. Going to do some clean up work this weekend.

Best part is I can always borrow his new MS400 if needed. :laugh:

I'll keep this in the front of my mind, the verdict seems unanimous for what needs to be tackled. And Old Mate with the 462 is family...so I bloody hope he sticks around!! (Not like family ever fought, right?) I won't be skimping with the saw, bar, or chains, I can promise you that.

I have seen some unbelievably close calls with saws amongst workers and family members. Fatigue is an insidious *****, and while I'm aware that my tiny pole saws and 009L will quite happily take my arm off, I'm confident in my handling of them. Not so much the big kW stuff due to lack of experience. I'm sure that will go away, but you could never accuse me of being blasé. And Dunning-Kruger will not get me, either.

If all goes well tomorrow, I hope to sample the 562XP as well as the MS362 and MS400. Stay tuned.
You can have chainsaw related Dunning-Kruger moments but you’ll have to limit them to the pub where you can speak with authority on the topic.

Back